Affordable controller

smalltown reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an affordable controller out there that will control temp, 2 part dosing, and maybe, monitor PH?
Is there a replacement for reef-keeper lite level?
Not ready to dive into a $700+ controller right now. Only need the bare basics.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be, yes.
Then you can consider reef-pi as well. It will be cheaper than most commercial alternatives , you won’t get the cloud integration etc, but a functional and usable controller with basic features is straight forward and you’ll learn a lot of electronics (if you are into this sort of things ) along the way

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or apex JR with PM1
$300 total.

OP
OP
S

smalltown reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Thanks. I am a cut and dry kind of guy. I built a rock solid, stable system so I wouldn't need to be "monitoring" it 24/7. I don't need to be connected to my fishtank through my phone and create a whole bunch of unnecessary stress worrying about things that don't need worrying about [emoji16].

Sold4jc7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
You can't go wrong with an Apex. You could start small and upgrade as budget permits. @MSB123 suggestion is solid for the price

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Thanks. I am a cut and dry kind of guy. I built a rock solid, stable system so I wouldn't need to be "monitoring" it 24/7. I don't need to be connected to my fishtank through my phone and create a whole bunch of unnecessary stress worrying about things that don't need worrying about [emoji16].

Stress to many of us comes when we don’t know how things are going while we are away. Knowing you will get that text message when Murphy arrives or just once or twice a day popping open the app gives a ton of peace of mind that you won’t open that front door and get smacked with the smell of rotting acropora.

OP
OP
S

smalltown reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand your points. Was just looking for a more affordable, yet effective way to dose 2 part and control temp. I just can't justify spending big $$ on that type of controller if those are the only things I am looking to do.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand your points. Was just looking for a more affordable, yet effective way to dose 2 part and control temp. I just can't justify spending big $$ on that type of controller if those are the only things I am looking to do.
I totally understand. So, if all you want is the most affordable way to dose 2-part and control temp, you can do that with a $45 heater and a $50 Jebao dosing pump. If you want do be able to do more, you really should not send good money towards bad components. Instead, get a $20 heater, two BRS dosing pumps, and an ApexEL for $620 total and you have what you want and so much more - like the ability to safeguard the tank from temperature catastrophes, accidental overdoses of 2-part, know when your return pump stops working even when you are away, and on and on. There really is not a better value in aquarium equipment for what you get back in safety and functionality. Afterall, this is not an inexpensive hobby, and we are trying our best to keep living things happy, healthy, and most of all alive in a little glass box. The first option I mention is the best way to go if you want to be on a budget. There isn't much in-between that and an ApexEL that makes a lot of sense, value-wise.

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a used apex classic with a BOB, PM2 and 3 probes for about 300... there are deals to be had if you don't need the latest and greatest.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add...I don't know what is in your tank for livestock, but once you start doing the math on even "cheap" fish and corals, the expense of a real controller becomes less and less of an issue. It is very easy to justify. I love the idea of the Reef-Pi because I like to build things and tinker. Terence gave a very good example of a cost effective way to do what you currently want without any real effort on your part. If you like DIY though, the Reef-Pi can be a fun project to tackle. Plenty of support for both here as well.

OP
OP
S

smalltown reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I also will be doing research about reef-pi. I am sure I will eventually cave to the better, more expensive controller. But, I try really hard to make the example to fellow reefers, friends, and family this hobby doesn't have to be a rich man's hobby... unless you want it to be. And, it is always interesting to hear all the really cool innovations people do. Thanks everyone for the ideas and insight!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back