AFS Programing Help Needed. My AFS keeps feeding every 30 seconds and won't shut off.

Jtleland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

As stated, I'm running into an issue where I've obviously screwed up the programing on my AFS, and it is spinning every 30 seconds (don't worry, I moved it over a paper plate until I figure this out). I'd like to have all of my pumps, skimmer, ATO, etc. turn off when the feeding cycle starts and stay off for either 5 or 8 minutes after feed cycle is complete. I need the AFS to spin 3 times for each feeding and was using the OSC command, but I'm sure I've messed up somewhere. All of the other commands work and the pumps/ato/uv all turn on at the times desired. Please help this newbie. Thank you in advance. This community is always so kind and helpful.

Here is the virtual outlet programing:

vFEED:
Set OFF
If Time 07:30 to 07:33 Then ON
If Time 17:05 to 17:08 Then ON

ATO:
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Output vFEED = ON Then OFF
If Output vWaterChange = ON Then OFF
Defer 008:00 Then ON

Return Pump:
Fallback ON
Set ON
Defer 005:00 Then ON

Skimmer:
Fallback ON
Set ON
Defer 008:00 Then ON

AFS:
Set OFF
If Output vFEED = OFF Then OFF
OSC 000:00/000:30/000:30 Then OFF

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try revising your AFS configuration like this:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Output vFEED = ON Then ON
Defer 000:10 Then ON

Then add this line at the end of your vFEED configuration:

Defer 003:00 Then OFF

I'm not sure about the 3x oscillation as I just spin my drum once (straight on and off). The rest of your programming all looks good.

OP
OP
Jtleland

Jtleland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try revising your AFS configuration like this:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Output vFEED = ON Then ON
Defer 000:10 Then ON

Then add this line at the end of your vFEED configuration:

Defer 003:00 Then OFF

I'm not sure about the 3x oscillation as I just spin my drum once (straight on and off). The rest of your programming all looks good.
I just made those changes, and the AFS is still rolling every 30 seconds. The reason for the 3 spins is that I'm feeding very small pellets, and on the lowest setting it feeds too little, on the next setting up it feeds like double what I want or need. Seems like there's no in between.

This is the first time I've used the OSC Command, so I'm grasping at straws a bit. Thanks for the help!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't place OSC at the end of the program. OSC always evaluates True, so it will override anything listed above it.

Change it to this:

AFS:

See my OSC tutorial video for complete details on how it works:

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't place OSC at the end of the program. OSC always evaluates True, so it will override anything listed above it.

Change it to this:

AFS:

This is correct

OP
OP
Jtleland

Jtleland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Change it to this:

AFS:

This is where I was messing up! Thank you for your help. Made the changes to the Apex and it worked like a dream. All I need to do now is tweak the start and end times to not get too many rotations.

You are all awesome! Thank you.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I was messing up! Thank you for your help. Made the changes to the Apex and it worked like a dream. All I need to do now is tweak the start and end times to not get too many rotations.

Glad to help.

Be sure to check out my whole series of Apex tutorials to get the most out of your setup:

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made those changes, and the AFS is still rolling every 30 seconds. The reason for the 3 spins is that I'm feeding very small pellets, and on the lowest setting it feeds too little, on the next setting up it feeds like double what I want or need. Seems like there's no in between.

This is the first time I've used the OSC Command, so I'm grasping at straws a bit. Thanks for the help!
I totally agree with the settings on this feeder. Setting one two small and no food gets through but setting 2 and it dumps far too much. I’m not impressed with one single element of these feeders and no longer use mine. I feed the ocean nutrition small pellets in case anybody is interested in the size of the food I’m using in relation to the feeder settings.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All one has to do is a little google reviews search on the AFS. Biggest point of sale out there as far as autofeeders go. My $20 amazon no name auto feeder that runs on 3 double A batteries, is more reliable then the AFS.

TribeTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How has this been working for you? Did you make any tweaks to get it exactly where you wanted? I’m in the same booth that you were in.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back