After all these years, Office nano build!

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another quick update to this thread. I ran out of lumber again, so I shifted gears to creating the equipment mounting plates. These will be inside the stand covered by doors and panels, so I didn’t really bother to make them look nice. Their function will be to keep moisture away from the electronics and give me a place to mount them securely.

The FMM module for measuring water level and flow speed is missing, and I’m still on the fence about using an Avast pressure sensor or not, but this is the basic layout:

IMG_6127 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another quick update. After work yesterday I put some of the sheeting on,.. of course this is just ruff, there will be trim on the top and bottom to cover those screw holes and clean up the ply edge as well as cover the tank base.

I'm also breaking in the flow diverter. That thing at the top spins to create waves, right now it's super loud but they did say there was a break in period, so I'm going to give it a couple days before I get worried about it.

The final thing I'm doing is evaluating the heat added by that MH lamp. I'm still on the fence there:
StandIMG_6134 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! Just another quick update.

I’m starting to put trim on, and you can see that part of the look is beginning to take shape:
IMG_6145 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

I also made the cover door for the EB8, this turned out a little silly for such a small door, but it will look great on the larger one. I did have to move around the electronics to fit the new flow sensor, but this layout even fits the ballast:
IMG_6146 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

I’ll be using the MH, at least for the break in period then I’ll evaluate the heat added and make a final choice.

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked in the morning today and got the drawer mounted. I still have to design the face, but the slides and everything work great. This is the first time I’ve ever made a drawer so I’m proud of it.
IMG_6166 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_6167 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Now it’s opinion time! I’m on the fence between a very light stain, like a natural oak, or a very dark stain like expresso. What do you prefer?

Whiskey

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked in the morning today and got the drawer mounted. I still have to design the face, but the slides and everything work great. This is the first time I’ve ever made a drawer so I’m proud of it.
IMG_6166 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_6167 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Now it’s opinion time! I’m on the fence between a very light stain, like a natural oak, or a very dark stain like expresso. What do you prefer?

Whiskey
I would lean toward espresso, but it depends on everything else in the room probably.

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lean toward espresso, but it depends on everything else in the room probably.
The building is very light generally speaking. My desk is bright white, the walls are white, or grey, the building has that open ceiling, industrial modern look generally.

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been busy the last week with classes but I have experimented a little bit with stain colors and I think I found one I love.

The first here was really dark, and the last was really light, but the golden oak in the middle was just the right color to make that grain pop! I really like it.

I also managed to find some oil based spar urethane in high gloss. That is going to look really slick.

Stain Choices by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another quick update to this thread. I ran out of lumber again, so I shifted gears to creating the equipment mounting plates. These will be inside the stand covered by doors and panels, so I didn’t really bother to make them look nice. Their function will be to keep moisture away from the electronics and give me a place to mount them securely.

The FMM module for measuring water level and flow speed is missing, and I’m still on the fence about using an Avast pressure sensor or not, but this is the basic layout:

IMG_6127 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey
Your going b@#$$ out. Me like. Comrade

1 of 27 carnation corals, dendronephthya sp.

Screenshot_2019-10-02-09-26-08-1.png

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just a tiny update. I'm working full time and taking a collage class compressed into one month this month so there has been no progress (sorry). But! I do have a tiny update. I was down by Pet Kingdom in San Diego. They have a great selection of corals and fish, and they also sell small cheap frags which I love! I picked up a few I couldn't resist. Everything but the hammer was $4.99 each, the Hammer was $15.

These guys are hanging out in my 75 until the nano is ready.
IMG_0805 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

This one will probably stay in the 75, but I got it because I loved the color and growth form:
IMG_0809 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 29 26.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back