Aggressive Bangais

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I recently added some bangais, 3 of them to be exact. Today I noticed they arent schooling at all, and one of them has become quite the bully to the other 2, chasing them and pushing them to the top of the tank. Any ideas on why this might be? Thanks!

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they’re not a compatible pair then they will bully to the death. Sounds like you need to remove the bully and see if the other 2 get along. Return to store or trade or give away the incompatible fish. Otherwise they will fight until one is left

OP
OP
MurphyTheClownfish

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bangaiis don't school/shoal when adults. In small tanks they will bully down to one or a pair.
I didn't know that, I was told they would lol. Guess that's on me
If they’re not a compatible pair then they will bully to the death. Sounds like you need to remove the bully and see if the other 2 get along. Return to store or trade or give away the incompatible fish. Otherwise they will fight until one is left
I'll do that. It's just strange because theyre quite young and it's odd because nothing in particular caused it they just stopped getting along. Thanks for the help

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feel bad. I made the same mistake. I introduced 4 Bangaiis to my 125 a few years back. Apparently I had a mated pair. The pair savagely attacked the other two, and I was only able to get one out before they killed the other. Since then, they've been living peacefully with each other and everyone else in the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A war waiting to happen and there will be one left when all is said and done

OP
OP
MurphyTheClownfish

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feel bad. I made the same mistake. I introduced 4 Bangaiis to my 125 a few years back. Apparently I had a mated pair. The pair savagely attacked the other two, and I was only able to get one out before they killed the other. Since then, they've been living peacefully with each other and everyone else in the tank.
I guess mine just hate each other lol. It's actually quite interesting they've all taken a section of the tank and they're kind of staring at each other. Should I take back one and try the pair? Any ideas on fish that would be a nice replacement for the third one? Just something small

OP
OP
MurphyTheClownfish

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A war waiting to happen and there will be one left when all is said and done
Yeah I was unaware they didnt school. Fish store told me they'd school so I was like, perfect Ill take em, and I kind of just assumed that was it lol. Obviously there had to be a problem soon itd been a solid 2 months of no issues :p

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yeah I was unaware they didnt school. Fish store told me they'd school so I was like, perfect Ill take em, and I kind of just assumed that was it lol. Obviously there had to be a problem soon itd been a solid 2 months of no issues :p
Pajama cardinal - yes and even flame cardinal but not Banghai

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Bangaiis will school when young, then as they mature the problem starts. Learned that the hard way. Have a 500 gallon, thought a school would be awesome, got 8 for quarantine, got down to 1 in a hurry. Wan't sure if it were the fact they were from petco or bullying, but noticed the biggest one survived, the others (always the smallest of the group) died off one by one. This was over a period of 2 to 3 weeks, so I know it wasn't velvet or ich, and I dewormed the group with praziquantel. Then I also did more research and figured out the above, that the Pajamas and Flames will school, the Kaudern's (Bangaii) won't. So, I guess I have 1 Bangaii in a 525 gallon tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back