Aggressive clown

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I've had a pair of clowns for 3 years, this year one of them has become very aggressive when I'm doing tank maintenance. I'm assuming they've got eggs somewhere for the first time. I added a bicolour 3 months ago and have found it dead with a missing pectoral fin. Shall I assume it's the suddenly aggressive clown that killed it? I have a single damsel which doesn't show any obvious aggression to anything, is it more likely it was the damsel?

I want to add a flame angel to my tank, should I remove the aggressive clown or the damsel or both?

Many thanks!

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience both are equally likely to be aggressive to other fish. Seems kinda cold to exile old pet for shiny new pet if you don’t even know who the culprit is.

As for the hand biter, have you tried sticking a net in the tank while doing maintenance. Sometimes just something odd in the tank is enough to spook clowns back to their host so you can do whatever. It usually works… for a while.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Becky S

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience both are equally likely to be aggressive to other fish. Seems kinda cold to exile old pet for shiny new pet if you don’t even know who the culprit is.

As for the hand biter, have you tried sticking a net in the tank while doing maintenance. Sometimes just something odd in the tank is enough to spook clowns back to their host so you can do whatever. It usually works… for a while.
Thanks for the advice, I'll try the net trick!

Upvote 0

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had aggressive breeding clowns, they have been breeding for 2 years and I would rescape , over feed, get hides and homes for my other fish etc etc etc. But they would keep expanding their territory, and would kinda push everyone in my tank to one side. Recently I went on my local forum, found a local breeder and traded him my breeding pair for 2 babies, I put them in separate tanks and it's the best thing I've done for my tank. Even the corals seem more relaxed. I felt bad at first but everyone is much happier, they get to breed their lives away, my other fish are now so free and happy. And one of my new clowns is such a sweet fish, eats right out of my hand.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Becky S

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had aggressive breeding clowns, they have been breeding for 2 years and I would rescape , over feed, get hides and homes for my other fish etc etc etc. But they would keep expanding their territory, and would kinda push everyone in my tank to one side. Recently I went on my local forum, found a local breeder and traded him my breeding pair for 2 babies, I put them in separate tanks and it's the best thing I've done for my tank. Even the corals seem more relaxed. I felt bad at first but everyone is much happier, they get to breed their lives away, my other fish are now so free and happy. And one of my new clowns is such a sweet fish, eats right out of my hand.
Would you advise me to rehome my clowns as a pair or just rehome the aggressive one and keep the passive one? I really love them but I'm experiencing very similar problems as you had in the past. I imagine it's only going to get worse. I know it's natural behavior but the whole reason I have a marine tank is to keep a dwarf angel. What do you think would be best to ensure success with a flame angel? Should I remove the clowns, then put my angel in and then put the clowns back in afterwards?

Upvote 0

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has drawn blood on many an occasion. She's been by herself for many years now but there's nowhere safe for me to put my hands-it's her tank.
The net trick works well as does long gloves-won't feel a thing there.
As for the angel, flame will need at least 55 gallons I suggest 75 but others have made smaller work so do your research on here.
They will use every inch of the tank and the clown will defend her area,which may start to grow larger and larger.
If the tank is large enough it shouldn't be a problem but it's a mean clown.
Sometimes you win sometimes they win.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Becky S

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has drawn blood on many an occasion. She's been by herself for many years now but there's nowhere safe for me to put my hands-it's her tank.
The net trick works well as does long gloves-won't feel a thing there.
As for the angel, flame will need at least 55 gallons I suggest 75 but others have made smaller work so do your research on here.
They will use every inch of the tank and the clown will defend her area,which may start to grow larger and larger.
If the tank is large enough it shouldn't be a problem but it's a mean clown.
Sometimes you win sometimes they win.
It seems I may need to give up the clown then, do you think the passive clown would be ok on it's own or would that become aggressive too?

Upvote 0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clowns are wired for hierarchy which means establishing dominance which can mean aggression. This is normal for clowns. If the pair are bonded then consider rehoming them together. If you only remove the larger clown (female), then there is a reasonable chance that the smaller fish (likely the male) will transition to a female and become more aggressive.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Becky S

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are wired for hierarchy which means establishing dominance which can mean aggression. This is normal for clowns. If the pair are bonded then consider rehoming them together. If you only remove the larger clown (female), then there is a reasonable chance that the smaller fish (likely the male) will transition to a female and become more aggressive.
Great advice, yes I will do that, they're beautiful but holding my tank to ransom. I'm guessing that rearranging my rocks won't reset the aggression?

Upvote 0

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 125g my clown pair go after my hand and take nibbles but that's mostly if i'm close to an bta. Clowns have those locked down territory wise LOL. No other fish care at all about my hand other than cleaner shrimp that jump on.

Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back