Aggressive clown

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I've had a pair of clowns for 3 years, this year one of them has become very aggressive when I'm doing tank maintenance. I'm assuming they've got eggs somewhere for the first time. I added a bicolour 3 months ago and have found it dead with a missing pectoral fin. Shall I assume it's the suddenly aggressive clown that killed it? I have a single damsel which doesn't show any obvious aggression to anything, is it more likely it was the damsel?

I want to add a flame angel to my tank, should I remove the aggressive clown or the damsel or both?

Many thanks!

OP
OP
Becky S

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 125g my clown pair go after my hand and take nibbles but that's mostly if i'm close to an bta. Clowns have those locked down territory wise LOL. No other fish care at all about my hand other than cleaner shrimp that jump on.
My clowns used to be so cute with no issues, I think they've just matured now and it's all gone wrong

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Becky S

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion?
Tank is too small for the flame.
Left alone clown will become female and you may have same problem again.
Joel
Thanks Joel, do you think the tank is too small because of the proximity to the other fish or simple too small even if it is just the flame angel?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Becky S

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate overstocking but I think you are probably ok with a Flame Angle if you ditch the clowns. If you want to play it safe though, what about a Coral Beauty? I you like the red colour a Flame Hawk?
I'm obsessed with flame angels, I've got to have one! I have a pink spot goby and a royal gramma, they're quite shirty around the tank, do you think they will be safe with the angel?

Upvote 0

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Becky I'm at work all day.
Possibly a small guy might work but no clowns I think.
They grow pretty slow and become quite personable over time but if not given enough 'personal space" can become a bit bully like.
Joel
Thanks Joel, do you think the tank is too small because of the proximity to the other fish or simple too small even if it is just the flame angel?

Upvote 0

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you advise me to rehome my clowns as a pair or just rehome the aggressive one and keep the passive one? I really love them but I'm experiencing very similar problems as you had in the past. I imagine it's only going to get worse. I know it's natural behavior but the whole reason I have a marine tank is to keep a dwarf angel. What do you think would be best to ensure success with a flame angel? Should I remove the clowns, then put my angel in and then put the clowns back in afterwards?
I kept mine together, and made sure they went to a good home and just got a new clown. I would suggest the same. It was a hard decision but one I'm happy with now

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I've had a pair of clowns for 3 years, this year one of them has become very aggressive when I'm doing tank maintenance. I'm assuming they've got eggs somewhere for the first time. I added a bicolour 3 months ago and have found it dead with a missing pectoral fin. Shall I assume it's the suddenly aggressive clown that killed it? I have a single damsel which doesn't show any obvious aggression to anything, is it more likely it was the damsel?

I want to add a flame angel to my tank, should I remove the aggressive clown or the damsel or both?

Many thanks!
Clowns are just mean, I had a female who bit the s—- out of me any time my hand was in the tank with no eggs. Most clowns turn aggressive like that when they mature. Its either deal with the clown aggression if you keep clowns or dont keep them at all unfortunately. Me I love clownfish and Ill deal with them being jerks for no reason at all, but thats my preference. My cousin on the other hand will not do clownfish in his tank because of this issue

Upvote 0

mamacta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won’t buy clowns ever again. My 2 lived very peacefully together for 8 months. 2 days ago the larger one became very aggressive and was terrorizing the smaller one. It only took 2 days and I just found the smaller one dead on the bottom of the tank 10 minutes ago. Had a huge wound on his side. I’m devastated. I don’t even want the other clown anymore.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Becky S

Becky S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won’t buy clowns ever again. My 2 lived very peacefully together for 8 months. 2 days ago the larger one became very aggressive and was terrorizing the smaller one. It only took 2 days and I just found the smaller one dead on the bottom of the tank 10 minutes ago. Had a huge wound on his side. I’m devastated. I don’t even want the other clown anymore.
oh that's awful! I'm really not sure what to do with mine. I really like watching them interact with eachother but one of them is now bullying all my other fish

Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 104 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back