Aggressive clownfish I had to isolate/Anenome advice

SaltwaterNo0b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there, I am a new member of Reef2Reef and I can not begin to express the excitement/relief I feel to have found a place where I can ask for advice/share any concerns I may have. Compared to my husband I am a noob and I tend to ask more questions than he can answer, I just have a very curious mind. I'm fascinated by the beauty of all life in the ocean, which influenced me to start/own our very own small saltwater tank.

In my tank I have a bonded pair of clown fish, I don't know exactly how long they have been bonded to each other for. I'm guessing a while because the previous owners had had them for some time before they decided they no longer had the time to dedicate towards the tank and fish.

Anyways long story short after having just those two clown fish my husband and I decided to add one more (appears to have different markings and colors, guessing not the same type). Not sure if we made the wrong choice or made the choice too soon because there is bullying going on. The new clown fish isn't that much smaller than the smallest of the bonded pair.

The bonded pair are the same type of clown fish because they look identical, just difference in size. The more dominant/ laid back of the two, is much more larger in size when seen next to each other. You would think the larger one would be the bullying one but that's not the case, the smaller of the two is constantly chasing our new one to one corner of the tank. Not allowing him to come up for food or just to roam the tank peacefully. He seemed to always want to be under this rock and the bully clown fish appeared to take pleasure into chasing and scaring the new one every chance he got. Even when the new one showed no interest in the two.

My solution that I came up with was thanks to YouTube, take that more aggressive fish and put into a time out container within the tank of course. Leave him be for about a day and that should help calm things I guess. What do you guys think? Is this okay and for how long do you think I should keep him in the timeout basket? The basket we got was made by a saltwater store owner, who has year's of experience in what he does, so I trusted his judgment.
I am going to take pics of the bonded pair and of the basket, it has been about 12-15 hours since he has been isolated, but I'm feeling real bad. Since he has been isolated my new clown fish has been getting along great with the larger clown fish out of the bonded pair. He seems to have shared his anenome with the new one and things have been great and calm, so I'm not sure what I should do. Any advice/opinions/concerns would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and please no harsh comments, I'm learning as I go and could use any positive support.

I've posted a few pics and one video clip!! The first pics are when my tank was set up differently, we re arranged it a bit since. Don't mind the anenomes, we have no clue what the lighter colored one is that is under the cave the other is a black widow that is a lot bigger in size than the guy said when we bought it. We are currently waiting for our new larger tank to be ready to do a switcharoo. The last picture I took need help identifying the larger one in back that looks like it has hairs??

IMG_0344.jpeg IMG_0351.jpeg IMG_0493.jpeg IMG_0492.jpeg IMG_0485.jpeg IMG_0498.jpeg IMG_0499.jpeg IMG_0501.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0349.mov
    53.2 MB

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for blaxsun’s comment.

The third clownfish is going to be a goner. Not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 175 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back