Aggressive Royal Gramma

peteyp365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a yellow Goniopora into my 30 gallon AIO tank. I noticed last night that my Royal Gramma was biting at it and I noticed a piece of the Goniopora floating in the water. My question is, will the Royal gramma stop biting it once he’s used to it being in the tank? It’s placed near where the Gramma tends to swim.
Thanks for any info

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My second Favorite Fish. Almost every nano I do has 2 clowns and a Royal Gramma. They are territorial usually they will open that big mouth of theirs and bark when other fish swim by. Make sure your Royal has plenty of rock work or caves to hide in. They aren’t typically aggressive but they will protect their spot.

A royal gramma that swims all the time in open is going to be aggressive. People by them for their colors. But usually they are the fish that is the sight to see when they come out. Most of the time they’ll be all in and around your rocks. Usually they open their mouths wide to scare off the intruder. Biting and nipping isn’t a good thing. Make sure that Gramma has hiding places. Also if your new found friend did get beat up I’d advise you to put him in QT. Then try again.

OP
OP
P

peteyp365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input.
I like the RG too. I have a lot of rock in the tank and he usually hides in his cave. He seems to be very territorial about it and I’ve place the Goniopora right outside of it. I really like the spot it’s in but it keeps closing up because of the RG.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 156 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.5%
Back