AHHH!!!! Ammonia Spike

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia Spike!!!! So I just tested my water and of course, Ammonia Spike. I can't seem to understand why this is happening.

A few changes I have made but shouldn't cause this issue are:
Added a Protein Skimmers - Runs only during the day - Reef Octopus 1000 Classic HOB
New RODI system

SYSTEM:
8 month old tank
HOB Aqua Clear - Media Metrix and Sponge
HOB Protein Skimmer
Powerheads
NO sump

ALL CORALS SEEM TO BE FINE - they are fully open and look very healthy.

All other water test come out to be within normal ranges.. I am sure why my ammonia has spiked.

The only thing I can think of -

Maybe some snails died?
OR
The water that sits in the Protein Skimmers over night get re pumped into the tank and thats causing the Ammonia Spike?

If anyone can help please let me know what I am doing wrong

ACB2B450-C800-48B7-9F41-70378675FF6C.jpeg

3D60B594-1192-488E-A4D9-AEE8317FB722.jpeg

B1E8230D-B7C0-4F96-945A-DFF3CEA821F6.jpeg

Last edited:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the actual dirty skimmer water isn't going back in the tank than I wouldn't worry. If the brown nasty skimmate is getting back into the tank then it can be a problem. Ammonia spike would mean a mini cycle or the bio load is a bit much and the bacteria need to catch up. No new rock or added fish? Also, why not skim 24-7?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, new RODI water. Are you using a TDS meter? Some municipalities will use chloramines in the water which if I'm not mistaken require a special resin to remove other than a carbon block.

OP
OP
Oceanwave45

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the actual dirty skimmer water isn't going back in the tank than I wouldn't worry. If the brown nasty skimmate is getting back into the tank then it can be a problem. Ammonia spike would mean a mini cycle or the bio load is a bit much and the bacteria need to catch up. No new rock or added fish? Also, why not skim 24-7?
Hey DSC REEF!!!! How are you? I hope you are staying safe! I haven't added anything, because I was told on one of my last post to keep my tank as is for at least 3 months so it can stabilize. So we haven't added anything!

Our tank is in the Master Bedroom, so its a bit loud, so we have to unplug it at night. Otherwise we would keep it 24/7. Once we can, I will be buying a new protein skimmer.

Andrew

OP
OP
Oceanwave45

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't you think if my Ammonia is testing so high, my corals would have closed up? I am not sure if I believer this API ammonia test. But I am sure its correct. So I had add some Prime to my system, which I know you really should because it kills everything!

Here is my plan
35 gallon water change?
Add bacteria again?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't you think if my Ammonia is testing so high, my corals would have closed up? I am not sure if I believer this API ammonia test. But I am sure its correct. So I had add some Prime to my system, which I know you really should because it kills everything!

Here is my plan
35 gallon water change?
Add bacteria again?
Water change definitely won't hurt along with bottled bacteria. Can you bring a sample of your water to a local store to double check the ammonia for you to make sure it's not a false alarm?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
food getting trapped in the filter pad:rolleyes:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change definitely won't hurt along with bottled bacteria. Can you bring a sample of your water to a local store to double check the ammonia for you to make sure it's not a false alarm?
also run some carbon

OP
OP
Oceanwave45

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I will do that as well

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I clean my filer once a week. But I guess that could happen. Maybe shut everything down and than feed? maybe lighter?
Turning off the return while feeding will help from excess food being trapped while giving the fish more time to eat it then just getting filtered away. Turn off the skimmer too when you turn off the main filter.

OP
OP
Oceanwave45

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang.. I think I know what happened.. I cleaned out the filter along with the sponge and I think I even tho I used tank water, I raised the sponge too clean. therefore I removed all the bacteria! Would that cause this as well?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for a giggle, have you tested the water coming out of your RO/DI unit for ammonia?

Seems to me that would tell you if that's where it's coming from...

You didn't remove all the bacteria. It's on every surface in your tank, down into the pores of your liverock. You can squeeze out those filter sponges pretty aggressively in the old tankwater, and the bacteria will be fine.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Oceanwave45

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for a giggle, have you tested the water coming out of your RO/DI unit for ammonia?

You didn't remove all the bacteria. It's on every surface in your tank, down into the pores of your liverock. You can squeeze out those filter sponges pretty aggressively in the old tankwater, and the bacteria will be fine.

~Bruce
Yes I have tested the RODI system, and the water is clean

OP
OP
Oceanwave45

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

~Bruce
Okay, I am so confused right now? What would be causing this problem? Everything is alive and well. I am not sure what to do about this.

Should I do a water change? Or just leave it until my next scheduled water change

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I am so confused right now? What would be causing this problem? Everything is alive and well. I am not sure what to do about this.

Should I do a water change? Or just leave it until my next scheduled water change
If it's ammonia , the prime will eat it. It's bacteria and bacteria loves ammonia.

I personally am doubting your test kit.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which test kit are you using, and what's the number you're coming up with?

Water change is unlikely to do harm to anything except your bank account. (I know, sore muscles - but think of it as a workout!)

~Bruce

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back