AI Hydra 26 HD Not Turning On - Prior Repair Gone Wrong

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my previous repairs:

FixReef is now also on YouTube!

And as always, uncensored, updated and corrected versions of my repair articles are a quick internet search away.

It's been awhile since I wrote about repairing an AI Hydra light. This time I got a Hydra 26 HD with the claimed problem that it just does not turn on.
No problem, I thought. This will be an easy fix, I thought. If that was the case, there would not have been an article about it.

So buckle up, we are approaching the case of a prior repair attempt!

The first sign of trouble is actually right on the surface. There is no LED indicator and the reset button is missing:
IMG_0456_a.JPG

But the real trouble is inside.
Hydra consists of two boards sandwiched together and help in place by several connectors soldered directly to the board with no additional support.
If you don't have experience separating them, there is a good chance you'll end up ripping them off and separating traces on the board. Then, there is no longer an easy fix.

Here's what one of the boards inside this poor Hydra looked like:
IMG_0572_a.jpg

As you can see, not only the connector on the left is missing, but also half of the pads on the board that used to hold it in place.
The main board is not in much better shape:

IMG_0461.JPG

There is quite a bit of corrosion and salt around the board. We'll give it a good ultrasonic clean soon enough.

But first, let's fix the connector and see if it at least tries to turn on.
Here's a close up of what the board looked like prior to the repair:

0002.jpg

From this, we can clearly see that two traces are gone and need to be repaired. Let's clean it up and extend the traces:

0018.jpg

Now is the time to put on a new connector. This is not a typical female header connector. First, it's shorter. Second, it also allows male pins to go all the way through and to the bottom of the connector. Otherwise, the existing male pins on the other board would not fit properly.

0019.jpg

Now, we solder it in and cover exposed traces with some conformal coating to keep everything in place:

0022.jpg

Now that the connector is replaced, I attempted to reassemble and test. The light came on, but the red and the blue channels were off. There is more work ahead.
The easy part first, what's wrong with the red channel? Turned out to be a single blown LED:

0026.jpg

Replacing LEDs on Hydra's is actually not as easy. The thermal profile is extremely important. LED modules are made of a combination of the aluminum backing and the composite layer on top. If overheated, the composite gets delaminated from the aluminum backing and there is no longer any heat exchange.
But we got the red channel to work after all:

IMG_0586.JPG

Now to the blue channel. Remember all the corrosion I mentioned before? It was quite bad:

0005.jpg
0010.jpg

I have a batch of boards to clean anyway, so let's give it a spin:

IMG_0514.JPG

The board looks much better now, but the damage is already done:
0031.jpg

0033.jpg

That last one looks especially bad. In fact that's one of the LED drivers, and it is responsible for the blue channel.
When attempted to remove it, this happened:

0015.jpg

No option but to replace with a nice brand new and high quality part:

0023.jpg

Soldering looks really nice and clean here:
0036.jpg

And with this, the blue channel is working again. And so is the entire light:

IMG_0589.JPG

Trust me, I fully understand that the reaction to a broken item is to try to take it apart to see what happened. But in some cases this leads to further damage that may be more significant than the original problem. That's the case with this light. In addition to replacing the connector and repairing broken traces, I also had to replace the reset button and the LED indicator that were broken off the board.

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing this, it’s a bit beyond my talents to be honest!

Andreas Rothe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, got a HYDRA from a friend to look at. Connecting the power it keeps on blinking blue. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as not to create duplicate threads, here's a new video discussing very similar issues to what was repaired here. Except the problem is now with the fan circuit:

w.peters72211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I do repair most reef electronics, including LED lights.
I have a hydra 26 that needs pretty much the same repair you documented here but is beyond my expertise. How would I go about sending it to you for repair? Thank you

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hydra 26 that needs pretty much the same repair you documented here but is beyond my expertise. How would I go about sending it to you for repair? Thank you
No problem. Just replied to your PM. Thank you!

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the second repair post of yours I've seen. I'm going to follow you just in case lol. Cheers.

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the second repair post of yours I've seen. I'm going to follow you just in case lol. Cheers.
I have a few more :) Check out my threads. I usually only post about repair.

you woulnt happen to know how to fix a hydra 26hd with a bad fan i changed out the fan but still no luck
I do have a few posts on fan circuit repair for hydra 26hd. Here's a repair video as well:

PM me if you'd rather have me repair it for you.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a hydra 26hd that won't turn on. Took it apart and looks like a resistor is burnt. Any clue on what value and where to source one?

IMG_20220206_182512303.jpg

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a burned capacitor. May or may not be the root cause of the problem. But certainly a possibility.

I actually have a repair video where I test and replace this very component:

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that. Any clue where to find a replacement capacitor and the values I need to know. Your video mentioned 5.8 microfarad at 36 volts? Is that what I need to seek? Thanks in advance

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sent in my hydra 26hd last week and AI inspected it and said the driver board had a burnt capacitor and sent me this image below.
Charged me $180 to replace driver board which included shipping back to me. This is on top of the $10 I spent to ship it to them for inspection...‍blahhh

IMG_20220805_101840.jpg

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sent in my hydra 26hd last week and AI inspected it and said the driver board had a burnt capacitor and sent me this image below.
Charged me $180 to replace driver board which included shipping back to me. This is on top of the $10 I spent to ship it to them for inspection...‍blahhh

IMG_20220805_101840.jpg
That's why board repair makes sense and is more cost effective than replacing the entire board, which may not even be in stock any longer.

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why board repair makes sense and is more cost effective than replacing the entire board, which may not even be in stock any longer.
I Agree with you. I just said screw it and paid spur the moment since I really needed that light back for my tank. Hopefully there wont be a next time, but if there is, I am going to come look for your write ups and videos! ;)

Joshevelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am a big fan of your repairs. Thanks for sharing your experiences, I also follow you in YT, you are awesome.

By any chances do you sell spare parts? I am looking for a Hydra 26 wifi module.

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there and thanks for following!
I don't sell spare parts unfortunately. Mostly because I can't get them myself :)
Hence, the only way these lights can be repaired is to do that at the component level. That's what I do.
I can repair those wifi modules though.

Joshevelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there and thanks for following!
I don't sell spare parts unfortunately. Mostly because I can't get them myself :)
Hence, the only way these lights can be repaired is to do that at the component level. That's what I do.
I can repair those wifi modules though.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back