AI Hydra 26 Settings

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you're going to hate this answer because it may not answer your question directly since best is very subjective. It depends on what kind of SPS you have or intend to keep. That will determine the best light. Since you have only one light, put it as high up as you can to increase the spread. Of course this will limit your output PAR, but probably a good thing at least initially so you don't burn your coral.

As a starting point, go slow. So maybe 40-50% and increase over a couple weeks depending on how your coral responds. As for color, that's also subjective depending on your personal preference. Some people like more blue others like more white. Get to the color you like since you'll be looking at the tank thus needs to enjoy what you're seeing. Get to this color and then you can increase the intensity over time. Again go slow and increase very slowing over time. You can probably afford to go very intense since your lights are raised very high, but again watch to see how the coral responds Fight the urge to blast it or you'll risk bleaching and losing coral.

debees5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This topic is debatable but I'll give you my thoughts...
I run mine 100% on all but the red, green & white. Those 3 channels I run at 45%.
This gives about a 14k spectrum that I like, so do my corals. Now, the Hydra 26 is a very powerful light for a 45 gallon tank so I would not crank that baby all the way up just yet....
My .02
Cheers!
Do you still use these settings on your mixed reef? Red/Green grow algae, right? Is white just a combination of all colors? Do you run UV at 100 as well?

jacobmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, guys. From what I have researched so far - no worries, AI HD26 dont have enough power to burn the SPS coral, so you can surely be safe to get 100%. However, to be safer - start from 70% and slowly add 10% every week. If you’re using HD52 or XR30, it could be hurt if you do 100%. Let me put this way - the SPS usually can get 200PAR as the best they can take, but try no more than 350 PAR. The range of HD26 won’t be higher than 350, so it’s pretty safe, but 50% I don’t think it’s enough, it could slow the growth of the SPS.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still use these settings on your mixed reef? Red/Green grow algae, right? Is white just a combination of all colors? Do you run UV at 100 as well?
I use Radions now but I ran that spectrum until the day I switched them, yes on the 100% UV.... Algae growth can happen under blue lights as well, so if you have a lot of algae growing I would start by looking at your phosphate levels too.

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 hydras on an 80 gallon .
Yes you need to start pumping your blues violet, up gradually so you won’t burn them.
I’ve see growth out of them since I was at these levels.

CB3EDCAF-C0EC-47D1-817C-164F353BEF23.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back