AI Lighting Questions

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I recently got an AI Prime and I am looking for advice/suggestions on fine tuning it. I pretty much went with the standard settings which had all lights at 60%. Initially, I started it at only a couple of hours a day and gradually increased it a little every few days. I'm now running with a ramp up and down time for 2 hours and the main time is only 4 hours. (total of 8 hours)

My previous light was just the crappy stock light that comes with the Fluval EVO and half of the blue LEDs were out for at least a couple of months. I wanted to give the tank time to acclimate to the newer, more intense, full spectrum light. I've had it almost a month now.

I've got it mounted 8" above the water and I'm keeping nothing but soft corals, mostly zoas and some misc polyps. (not to mention a dozen types of algae) I know there are popular "profiles" that you can download but I have no idea what I am doing.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked out the Signature section on AI's website? I used David Saxby's template for the longest time and it seemed to work really great with my reef.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi Guys,

I recently got an AI Prime and I am looking for advice/suggestions on fine tuning it. I pretty much went with the standard settings which had all lights at 60%. Initially, I started it at only a couple of hours a day and gradually increased it a little every few days. I'm now running with a ramp up and down time for 2 hours and the main time is only 4 hours. (total of 8 hours)

My previous light was just the crappy stock light that comes with the Fluval EVO and half of the blue LEDs were out for at least a couple of months. I wanted to give the tank time to acclimate to the newer, more intense, full spectrum light. I've had it almost a month now.

I've got it mounted 8" above the water and I'm keeping nothing but soft corals, mostly zoas and some misc polyps. (not to mention a dozen types of algae) I know there are popular "profiles" that you can download but I have no idea what I am doing.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
One of the better percentages I have used for color and growth were:
White 17
blue 80
UV 75
Purple 60
green 5
Red 4

York1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a facebook group that has alot of different lighting templates

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second advice given by other reefers. Generally you do not want too much of red and green spectrum for corals, it would be perhaps good for refugium. Red spectrum in excess slows down coral growth, especially sps and can cause algae growth . If you are OK with blue look, do not use white , however it looks somewhat unnatural and I add 8-12% of white.
Some of the signature series of AI website are a bit too exotic to me, so I try to emulate commercial coral growers, like WWC, you can find their templates too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back