Ai nero powerheads giving high stray voltage

  • Thread starter Thread starter Blake7393
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Blake7393

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 5, 2025
Messages
21
Reaction score
2
Location
Kendal
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi anyone else had these giving off high stray voltage. Gutted I need to replace them, they weren't cheap
 
How long have you had them,not had a problem with the Nero I’ve got but there under warranty for 2 years so shouldn’t have to pay anything other than postage
 
They are old, had them 5 years or so. Just a bummer with the price to replace. They both are are giving out 13 volts each. No reading with probe submerged but a very high stray voltage reading. Will need replacements
 
What makes you think you need to replace them? 13 volts AC should not be a problem.
 
Thought the rule is any reading above 10volts should be inspected? Then replace problem devices?. The reading of 13volts each is on turn on. If left with no probe it charges the water i had bigger readings before sorting a grounding probe.Ive ordered new pumps arriving Tuesday
 
What made you test for stray voltage? Do you just test with a voltage meter and stick the prongs in the water?
 
for what it's worth, I've had 4 Nero's total. 3 have ended up in the trash for the exact same reason - the portion of the power cord that sits under the water level degraded over time. all 3 of them luckily I saw the shiny wire under where the wire insulation degraded before I ever put my hand in. the pumps were still working at that time so I don't think they were leaking voltage into the water. but yeah, done with them. ill only be using MP's moving forward. all electrical being outside of the water is peace of mind
 
If that happened to my pumps I would be on the phone with AI as this sounds like a design flaw that they would be interested in knowing about.
 
The Nero’s are based on a Chinese powerhead design. AI white labeled those powerheads, had them manufactured in a new color scheme and built a nicer app interface than the Chinese models. The guts of the powerhead are the same as the cheaper Chinese counterpart you can buy from AliExpress. If you are okay with a different app you can replace them with the China-branded models.
 
Sling, I don't disagree, however, 3 of the OP's pumps have problems for the exact same reason. For me, it would be worth a call to Technical Support.
 
I use Nero's for sump flow and one of mine gives stray voltage.

I confirmed this by feeling the zap in tip of my finger which went away when I would stand on a chair with rubber wheels, and also went away when I turned off the Nero.

Shame because the low profile is great for flow in a fuge or flow in return section where dosers are.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new