ai orbit 4

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at all cost avoid any sort of ai products, first i almost lost my ai pump completely i don’t understand why they use a controller when everyone is going to use the mobius anyways, it got wet and didnt work for a couple days and as a miracle one day it kicked back on and has been good ever since, i broke that the same day i got it same with the orbit 4, while moving around wires i took the ac adapter from my ato and plugged it into my ai controller and it’s like done for now i think, i tried washing it off in ro water because the connections either had salt creep or was corroded which actually worked it would light up but would not actually turn on and connect to mobius.
i know a lot of this is user error but they just have some disappointing designs for how much they price their products

OP
OP
L

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the actual controller itself is useless, 9/10 people are buying ai products because of its bluetooth capabilities it has. if they all just came with a drip loop it would make a huge difference, if they ever so slightly get wet then they’re shot. Now i’ll just have to rely on their warranty and see if I can just get them replaced.

OP
OP
L

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can’t tell you it broke on me within 3 days from user error ofc but it’s alright for what it is it’s nice that it has bluetooth capabilities and you can really fine tune it but i don’t recommend it anything under 60 gallons cause it created a dang monsoon on its lowest setting

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How good does it work ? Thinking about getting 1 for my Lagoon 25 tank

What is it that you are looking for exactly? I have a pair of Orbit 4's and they work fine. No different than an Icecap 4k I had previously. Exactly the same with the exception of the cable.

Using native driver it is pretty basic but functional. Mobius extended the functionality and is nice. This was my first Mobius experience so took me a bit to navigate through everything but it wasn't too bad. I picked up the MXM module and to me it was a nice quality of life improvement. I'm not too keen on mobile apps so to me the Fusion layer was easier. For me.

I've had no issues or failures. They seem to withstand my small snails that love laying eggs on the Gyre. Mini stars also call it home. In any case all good and I owned them since launch. I have 7 different presets that I use through the day. One primary the 2nd one is anti-sync. I will spin them in reverse for about 5 minutes to dislodge any snails.

Display is 54 x 30 x 30 so the pair work fine. No difference than when I had a Icecap 4k. They are not as quick as the Maxspect Gyres. Their motor block can go as quick as .5 seconds. Icecap, Orbit is 2 seconds. I don't own any others that are non Maxspect but I am willing to bet they are similar. This may not seem like a bit deal but the Maxspect can generate a lot more standing wave movement with that quick of a pulse.

Anyway fall off. I clean mine monthly. This will vary hobbyist tank to hobbyist tank as we all grow film or algae at different rates. The longest I've gone without cleaning them is 2 months. I didn't really notice much fall off but I'm also not measuring it. When they are running during their peak intensity I don't see much difference.

About the only negative is cleaning them or any gyre. Off, remove, disassemble, soak, scrub, reassemble, install, power on, etc. My Maxspect Gyres I actually have spare cages and blades so it shortens this process. Turn one off, remove, disassemble, swap parts, reassemble, install, power on. I'll soak the parts when I can, dry out, store, and the rotate. I also do this with my return and skimmer pumps. They are all the same so makes the job so much easier to do maintenance...

Anyway they are a pretty decent gyre. None of the knock offs are Maxspect but they are good kits. Note that this is just my experience and two hobbyist can use the same product(s) and have different experiences. This one is mine.

Note 1: I don't know how warranties compare - sorry.
Note 2: to take advantage of reverse modes know you need to swap the blades so they face the proper direction. Orbits did not come with spares so this isn't really possible. Blades and cages are marked and they represent which side it attaches to the motor. Cutting forward, natural, pushes water forward so when it spins in reverse it is slapping so to speak. Older Maxspect videos show this in case I'm not making it clear, sorry.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back