AI PRIME 16HD on lid?

Jurgo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just bought the AI PRIME HD16 and am wondering about the lighting schedule. It is going to be on my biocube lid where I cut a hole on top so it is still outside and can stay cool. I don't want to cook my corals and the lighting is a bit confusing. Thank you for your time in reading this

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try any of the AI

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just bought the AI PRIME HD16 and am wondering about the lighting schedule. It is going to be on my biocube lid where I cut a hole on top so it is still outside and can stay cool. I don't want to cook my corals and the lighting is a bit confusing. Thank you for your time in reading this
I guess you already figured all of this out, but just in case: I did a very similar thing with a 15 g cube and a kessil a360we. I run it at only slightly above it's lowest setting for 12 h. I have it set up (w my Apex) to turn off if the tank gets too hot. This does happen on hot days.

I found that even though the kessil is actively cooled (like the prime), the light surface still gets warm enough to heat up the tank. Also, I have a pretty substantial flashlight effect where the beam spotlights the center of the tank.

I suggest adding a 3d reefing diffuser and possibly running it without the light scatter panel, so that you can lift the light a little further from the water without having the light bleed out into your room.

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered doing a glass top instead? Works great for my fluvals.
20210910_100701.jpg

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much max out the UV, Violet, Blue, and Royal blues, and adjust the Cool whites to my liking. It may be different depending on the size of your tank and how high the light is off of the top of the water.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered doing a glass top instead? Works great for my fluvals.
20210910_100701.jpg
I can’t speak for the OP, but the reason I have the kessil directly on the lid is that I don’t want my toddler to look up into it.

how do you keep thoe glass lids from being covered in condensation?

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t speak for the OP, but the reason I have the kessil directly on the lid is that I don’t want my toddler to look up into it.

They have some condensation but not much. There is a gap between the top glass and the tank walls that lets air exchange.

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like they are pretty condensated to me. I run my ai prime on the gooseneck, i removed my lid and run a mesh top because i have had jumpers. My toddler tends to not look directly at the light and it doesn't appear to bother him in any way when he's checking the tank out. Just my .2 cents.

You can check my build if you want! I have the ai prime 8" above the water and i run about 80% uv's , 80% blues, 5% green and red, 0% moon, and about 20% white at the peak of the day. roughly 12 hours of light with 1 hour and 30 minute ramp up and down.

the whites start off, then ramp to 20% by the middle of the schedule, then back down. Everything else stays the same once it ramps up.

If that doesnt make sense i have my actually schedule screenshot on my builds

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they are pretty condensated to me. I run my ai prime on the gooseneck, i removed my lid and run a mesh top because i have had jumpers. My toddler tends to not look directly at the light and it doesn't appear to bother him in any way when he's checking the tank out. Just my .2 cents.

You can check my build if you want! I have the ai prime 8" above the water and i run about 80% uv's , 80% blues, 5% green and red, 0% moon, and about 20% white at the peak of the day. roughly 12 hours of light with 1 hour and 30 minute ramp up and down.

the whites start off, then ramp to 20% by the middle of the schedule, then back down. Everything else stays the same once it ramps up.

If that doesnt make sense i have my actually schedule screenshot on my builds
I would love to see a screenshot of the schedule. I’m playing with the same set up and need some advise. My previous settings, corals were happy but nems started to hide and bleach so I’m looking for something in the middle to make everything happier. Thanks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back