AI Prime 16HD vs Hydra 32

Ducrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back into saltwater tanks after a 10+ year break. Went to my LFS and the owner suggested I go with two Hydra 32's over two Prime 16's. Tank I'm using is a rimless UNS 90U that measures 36" wide x 22" Deep x 22" Tall. He said the 32's are better because they'll penetrate deeper and since I want to do SPS coral it'll be beneficial. Thoughts?

Also, I'm going sumpless (using an OASE BioMaster Thermo 850 canister filter and a Tunze 9012DC Skimmer - again recommended by the owner). Thoughts on this approach or is there a better alternative? Want to get this right the first time!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's right about the lights. Unless you're going to clean it ever 3 days or so the canister may not be the best. A simple HoB filter can do the same job with easier maintenance.

OP
OP
D

Ducrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's right about the lights. Unless you're going to clean it ever 3 days or so the canister may not be the best. A simple HoB filter can do the same job with easier maintenance.
Thanks. Interesting about the lights, I thought they’d penetrate the same amount vertically, but the horizontal spread would be the difference.

As far as filtration, should I instead just drill a hole in the tank and go for an overflow with a sump? My goal is to make this tank have the least amount of things hanging off it.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 32s and 16s use the same pucks so the equivalent would be using 4 AI Primes. I agree you should either do 2 of the 32s or 4 of the AI Primes. The 32s would be a little cheaper and are a little more friendly for mounting reef brites or T5s if you ever wanted to do thaf

OP
OP
D

Ducrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 32s and 16s use the same pucks so the equivalent would be using 4 AI Primes. I agree you should either do 2 of the 32s or 4 of the AI Primes. The 32s would be a little cheaper and are a little more friendly for mounting reef brites or T5s if you ever wanted to do thaf
Ok, so if the pucks are the same aren’t we only concerned about horizontal coverage? AI says the PrimeHD’s cover an 18x18 area. The tank is 36”wide.

Knowing me I’ll go get 2 64’s, but asking to confirm

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so if the pucks are the same aren’t we only concerned about horizontal coverage? AI says the PrimeHD’s cover an 18x18 area. The tank is 36”wide.

Knowing me I’ll go get 2 64’s, but asking to confirm
Speaking from experience, the primes definitely will not keep SPS in an 18x18 area, assuming it’s just a single light. I think the two 26s would be fine. Instead of doing 2 Hydra 64s, consider a hybrid fixture with the 26s. You’ll probably save $200 and your corals will look wayyyy better

OP
OP
D

Ducrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking from experience, the primes definitely will not keep SPS in an 18x18 area, assuming it’s just a single light. I think the two 26s would be fine. Instead of doing 2 Hydra 64s, consider a hybrid fixture with the 26s. You’ll probably save $200 and your corals will look wayyyy better
Ok thanks! What sort of hybrid fixture would you suggest?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks! What sort of hybrid fixture would you suggest?
I’ve never used one but these seem to be the most popular. I plan on getting the 24” for my tank in the next couple of months.

OP
OP
D

Ducrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never used one but these seem to be the most popular. I plan on getting the 24” for my tank in the next couple of months.

Thanks. My wife isn’t thrilled with the lights hanging from the ceiling using a suspension system and said she wants me to use the kind that mount on the back of the tank. Guess I’ll need to take that into consideration

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. My wife isn’t thrilled with the lights hanging from the ceiling using a suspension system and said she wants me to use the kind that mount on the back of the tank. Guess I’ll need to take that into consideration
They sell a kit to mount on the back of a stand. I believe it’s $150

OP
OP
D

Ducrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what AI told me about the lights:

"Keep in mind you will likely have a sand bed and rock structures so that will help with the 18" x 18" spread. You should be fine with two Prime 16 HD. Any SPS pieces should be centered and under the Prime 16 HD for the best results. Obviously, other factors will come into play when it comes to coral growth, however, just pertaining to lighting, that will work. That size aquarium and lighting specs are all in the right parameters."

I then mentioned the hybrid setup and was told this:

"I am not familiar with hybrid mounting, I know that it will have T5 on the outer edges for more coverage, however, that is going to be your call at the end of the day. As far as our lighting and that size tank, (2) Prime 16 HD would be recommended."

Thoughts?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what AI told me about the lights:

"Keep in mind you will likely have a sand bed and rock structures so that will help with the 18" x 18" spread. You should be fine with two Prime 16 HD. Any SPS pieces should be centered and under the Prime 16 HD for the best results. Obviously, other factors will come into play when it comes to coral growth, however, just pertaining to lighting, that will work. That size aquarium and lighting specs are all in the right parameters."

I then mentioned the hybrid setup and was told this:

"I am not familiar with hybrid mounting, I know that it will have T5 on the outer edges for more coverage, however, that is going to be your call at the end of the day. As far as our lighting and that size tank, (2) Prime 16 HD would be recommended."

Thoughts?
I’m running 2 primes on a 1ft long tank and cranked all the way up my par maxes out around 300. Tank is only 9” deep and I have them about 12” above the tank. On the edges I get around 220. I’d get at least 3 if you go with the primes. It is worth noting that on my setup only one is a 16HD

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having tried 2 x AI Primes over my 36" 40b, I would HIGHLY recommend 2 x Hydra 32HD. I ended up upgrading to them in the end anyway. Save yourself the money and just get the 32's.

OP
OP
D

Ducrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light wise, it depends what you want to grow...I had two AI Primes on my RS Reefer and it worked just fine, just not for acros really.
I don't want to be held back from growing anything. The last thing I want to do is look back later and go "wish I would have bought .... instead"
I’m running 2 primes on a 1ft long tank and cranked all the way up my par maxes out around 300. Tank is only 9” deep and I have them about 12” above the tank. On the edges I get around 220. I’d get at least 3 if you go with the primes. It is worth noting that on my setup only one is a 16HD
Ok, sounds like the Hydra 32's with the Aquatic Life G2 T5 HO Hybrid 4-Lamp Mounting System Fixture is the way to go here

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to be held back from growing anything. The last thing I want to do is look back later and go "wish I would have bought .... instead"

Ok, sounds like the Hydra 32's with the Aquatic Life G2 T5 HO Hybrid 4-Lamp Mounting System Fixture is the way to go here
You’re really going to like that setup!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back