AI Prime acclimation?

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered an AI Prime 16HD for my Evo 13.5 and it should be here next week. I bought the tank used and it came with the Current USA Orbit Marine IC which I've been running since starting a little over a month ago. I've got softies and some LPS in there right now. I know that there's more PAR with the new light and I don't want to fry/bleach my coral. I plan on going with the David Saxby, but I'm also going to want to use the "acclimation" setting. Any thoughts on how I should go about this? I've seen some people say "start at 30% ramping up over 30 days," and others say "50% ramping up over 15 days." Not really sure where to begin - any input is apprecaited.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends where ur light is set now.
Will you be programming the prime to run more intense?
I like to do things slower with reefing so i support a 40% for 30 days.
Keep in mind. The % you set acclamation mode to is the % of reduction it starts out at.

So if you set up the intensity to 100% on the graph and set acclamation to 40% @ 30 days, the light will start operating at 60% and increase % over 30 days to end up at 100%.

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends where ur light is set now.
Will you be programming the prime to run more intense?
I like to do things slower with reefing so i support a 40% for 30 days.
Keep in mind. The % you set acclamation mode to is the % of reduction it starts out at.

So if you set up the intensity to 100% on the graph and set acclamation to 40% @ 30 days, the light will start operating at 60% and increase % over 30 days to end up at 100%.
Thanks. I’m planning on running the Saxby schedule and I think the settings are pretty similar to my current light. The difference is that the Prime is much stronger than my Orbit Marine.

I did catch that about the % reduction in acclimation mode. I know 40% does not mean the light is running at 40% for the acclimation period. I think 30 days of acclimation is what I’d go with - I don’t like to rush anything either.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’m planning on running the Saxby schedule and I think the settings are pretty similar to my current light. The difference is that the Prime is much stronger than my Orbit Marine.

I did catch that about the % reduction in acclimation mode. I know 40% does not mean the light is running at 40% for the acclimation period. I think 30 days of acclimation is what I’d go with - I don’t like to rush anything either.
I just switched to this light two days ago and found the David Saxby to be way too white (and I’m not a fan of super blue lighting). It’s also a 13 hour photo period which is something to consider (I usually run 12 hours, so that wasn’t too big a deal). Also, and maybe I’m just stupid and there’s an easy way to change it, but the time it’s set to run wasn’t the time I run my schedule, so I had to change the time zone two hours ahead for it to run at the time I wanted it to. It was pointless, because I decided a day later I didn’t like and programmed my own schedule, it’s not as complex as the Saxby, but it looks better to my eye (basically the same settings, just slightly less violet and white light).

Also, I don’t know that the percentage of acclimation mode is the percent of intensity reduction, it says ‘start intensity’, which to me would mean the percentage of your schedule that it starts the acclimation period at. Regardless, I set it to 50% so either way it’s the same, but is there any documentation on whether it’s the percentage it starts at or the percentage of intensity reduction?

Overall, I’m really liking the light, though.

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to this light two days ago and found the David Saxby to be way too white (and I’m not a fan of super blue lighting). It’s also a 13 hour photo period which is something to consider (I usually run 12 hours, so that wasn’t too big a deal). Also, and maybe I’m just stupid and there’s an easy way to change it, but the time it’s set to run wasn’t the time I run my schedule, so I had to change the time zone two hours ahead for it to run at the time I wanted it to. It was pointless, because I decided a day later I didn’t like and programmed my own schedule, it’s not as complex as the Saxby, but it looks better to my eye (basically the same settings, just slightly less violet and white light).

Also, I don’t know that the percentage of acclimation mode is the percent of intensity reduction, it says ‘start intensity’, which to me would mean the percentage of your schedule that it starts the acclimation period at. Regardless, I set it to 50% so either way it’s the same, but is there any documentation on whether it’s the percentage it starts at or the percentage of intensity reduction?

Overall, I’m really liking the light, though.
Thanks!

I’m interested to see if I’ll like the Saxby. I’m running white at about 30% right now on my Orbit, but I imagine the 35% on the Saxby will look a lot different since it’ll be running alongside more of a spectrum. I also don’t love super blue lights which was part of the appeal of the Saxby schedule. Seems like BRS has a good schedule for nanos too.

re: acclimation mode, this is where I got the idea that it was %reduction of scheduled lighting level, not %lighting level: https://support.aquaillumination.com/hc/en-us/articles/360046180734-AI-Light-Using-the-Effects - But after re-reading I could be wrong?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can adjust intensity on the app by swiping and dragging the whole graph down.

You can also easily adjust the photo period by moving the sunrise and sunset points and the start and end of the peak.

I run my saxby preset @ 60%. I like the white though. Still keeping the 13 hour photoperiod.
20200228_083022.jpg

If i recall correctly though the prime functions slightly different than the hydras.
Maybe thats why @MaxTremors advice on the acclamation mode may be true.
Mine says "starting reduction percent".
Screenshot_20210904-075917_myAI.jpg

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back