AI Prime HD rail mount

platinumreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I am new to this community and reefing community! I did saltwater over 10 years ago but was only FOWLR. I currently have a 55 gallon tank set up and SLOWLY getting it all ready for coral! I have rock and fish and inverts and one AI Prime HD.
I plan on buying more lights, and hindsight being 20/20, wish I would have went with a light that has better mounting options. :)
I was on the BRS doing some research and came across a DIY rail mount with 9 Prime’s on it and my jaw dropped! I emailed them and asked all kinds of questions. They emailed me back on where to get the parts, but we’re not helpful at all on how they built it. And instead of asking 50 times, I thought I would post here and see if anyone can help me.
The first picture is from the BRS website where I saw this. I will only have one rail for my lights, and would like it to stand on each end of my tank like in the second picture. The third picture is the rail I will use.
My questions are:
1) How would I mount the vertical rails to the horizontal rail? Would the metal AI Prime brackets work?
2) You have to buy the hanging bracket to hang in the rail. After putting on the bracket, would the nut on top of the light slide into the bar?

8AF0F211-6D7F-4619-9424-51FBB20837CF.jpeg 2E5B1BF7-BC20-4771-A5F6-9FBB30174C8B.jpeg 8CA24B15-161C-415C-83E6-EBEE31847C4A.jpeg

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef. I've found it to be a very welcoming and encouraging community.

I'm not familiar with that mounting set up, or the parts involved, but I do have some experience with aluminum extrusion. Hopefully someone with more direct experience will chime in.

I'm not sure what you'll have for vertical supports, but you can tap the holes in the horizontal rail and attach simply use bolts to attach it to the uprights.

The bolt on the mounting bracket should be able to slide into the opening on the extrusion, but you'll have to slide the mounting bracket on before attaching one of the sides.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back