AI Prime HD

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone out there using the AI Prime HD to grow softies, mushrooms, nems, and LPS? If so, how deep is your tank?

It seems that the more research I do the more confused I get. Help!!! I’m getting a 5 foot long tank that’s 22 inches deep and was planning on buying 3 of these lights. Now LFS saying I need the Hydra 52s instead. I’m not growing SPS here ppl.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone out there using the AI Prime HD to grow softies, mushrooms, nems, and LPS? If so, how deep is your tank?

It seems that the more research I do the more confused I get. Help!!! I’m getting a 5 foot long tank that’s 22 inches deep and was planning on buying 3 of these lights. Now LFS saying I need the Hydra 52s instead. I’m not growing SPS here ppl.
Yes you will need more primes or more powerful lights, your LFS is correct this time.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you will need more primes or more powerful lights, your LFS is correct this time.

Sorry. Not sure what u mean by more lights? I was planning on getting 3. Each is rated for 18 x 18 inches but can be pushed to 24 x 24. I’ve got a 60 inch tank so was gonna get 3. Do you mean the lights aren’t strong enough to penetrate to the bottom?

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got the ai prime hd on a 12 inch deep tank mounted 9 inches above the surface. I wouldn't really underestimate these pucks but yeah youll be pushing the lights to its limit.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on above. You might have to place corals higher up to get good results.

Mayb
yeah but still i cant help but shake the feeling she would be happier down the road with the hydra 26's over the ai primes..

Maybe. But LFS is trying to sell me Hydra 52’s. 2 are literally double the price of the 3 Primr HD’s I was planning on.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have ai primes. i had just 1 on a 24x24 cube and it seemed fine for lps/softies. i did add a second recently because i want to do sps, but for lps/softies i'd think you'd be fine. you can always add a 4th later on if you want less shadowing

brs has a bunch of videos about ai primes on their channel

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have ai primes. i had just 1 on a 24x24 cube and it seemed fine for lps/softies. i did add a second recently because i want to do sps, but for lps/softies i'd think you'd be fine. you can always add a 4th later on if you want less shadowing

brs has a bunch of videos about ai primes on their channel

Thx

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 primes on a reefer 170 22 inches deep (I think) and I still have to drop intensity down 25%. I have a fully mixed reef with a clam on the sand growing. Yes I do have my SPS in the upper half nothing too demanding. Mille,acros, garf bonsai and a couple birds nest all growing like crazy and I have to trim every week. Unfortunately i have no par measurements but I can’t really go much higher cause everything starts getting real pale. Having two I get very little shadowing and I am very happy.
IMG_3516.JPG

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you sure you won't want to do sps? because about 6 months ago i would've said no as well.. :eek::D

About as sure as I was that I’d be happy w a 55G FOWLR but we’re just gonna ignore that fact for now. It’s the calcium/alkalinity/the other thing that I’m trying to avoid

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About as sure as I was that I’d be happy w a 55G FOWLR but we’re just gonna ignore that fact for now. It’s the calcium/alkalinity/the other thing that I’m trying to avoid
Lps and a stable reef in general need that monitored and sometimes altered. It’s really not to difficult, we (reef2reef) can definitely help you with that.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lps and a stable reef in general need that monitored and sometimes altered. It’s really not to difficult, we (reef2reef) can definitely help you with that.

I was gonna stick w mainly softies and the lower maintenance LPS. I thought I could avoid the 3 that way.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna stick w mainly softies and the lower maintenance LPS. I thought I could avoid the 3 that way.
Coraline will consume the big 3, anything with a skeleton will use the big 3, it’s just a easy test, no harder than testing for nitrate. If one is off, you just pour a a few milliliters of liquid in the tank, your all patched up, super easy, happy tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back