AI Prime HD

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by Mariette, May 12, 2019.

1. vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081 Well known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 R2R Secret Santa Article Contributor Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

I run primes and love them. Seems two of them is the magic number when tank is 24" or more
    These lights offer nice shimmer and grows everything

JoshH, mattzang and Hemmdog like this.

2. Mariette

Mariette Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Awesome thx. May I ask how long your tank is? And how deep? How many primes do you have?

3. Wh00pS32

Wh00pS32 Active Member

Imo 2 26's on a five foot tank would not be enough due to shadowing, yes you would have one more puck but they are pretty close together on the 26's and at least with Primes you can place the single pucks apart plus you could always add another at a later date if required.
    A lot of people don't realise just how powerfull these little pucks are and totaly underestimate them.
    I've been a Prime user for around 4 years (since release) on various tanks and tend to keep the same sort of stock you are thinking of, i have never had a problem with the light output they give out.

Proteus Meep, JoshH and Hemmdog like this.
  4. Almondkc

Almondkc Banggai Cardinal Finatic R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor KCRC Member

I have a WB 45.2 Platinum Frag with the dimensions of 24x24x12. I have two AI Prime HD and keep acans, trachophylia, torches, Yuma mushrooms and nfs gorgonian. The lights are great - don’t/can’t use full power. Get good growth. Very happy with Prime HDs

JoshH likes this.
  5. Avp

Avp Member

I ran two ai primes on a 48 inch long lps and soft coral tank for years and had nothing but success. I would get the three for your tank. If you ever want more light you can add a fourth and get much better spread than two 26s would give you.

JoshH likes this.
  6. Mariette

So I’m either going w 3 primes knowing I may add a 4th down the road, or 2 of the 26’s knowing u may add a 3rd down the road. Decisions decisions. I wonder if AI has a PAR reading chart at different depths for each of their lights

7. JimFuller

JimFuller Active Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I use 4 AI HD Primes on mt 75 Gallon tank. I go have some SPS, but mostly LPS and softies. They will penetrate to the bottom and do good. Picture shows what is happening.

2856.jpg

Tank-Roberta3.jpg

JoshH and mattzang like this.
  8. Mariette

May I ask how long the tank is? Also, it looks like you have another light above the primes. Or am I mistaken?

9. mattzang

mattzang Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

that guy is using the basic bracket mount and then runs a par test at the end using the AB+ settings basically, so that gives you an idea

and they do some par readings too

10. Mariette

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you. I have officially made my decision. I’m going w 3 primes. Thank you thank you thank you!

mattzang likes this.
  11. JimFuller

JimFuller Active Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

The tank is 48 inches long. There is a fan for cooling, Ehiem Auto Feeder, and Television above the tank. Only lights are the AI HD Primes. Tank is 21 inches deep and 18 inches from to back. It is a Standard Aqueon Reef Ready 75 Gallon Tank.

Mariette likes this.
  12. Kgtrains2

Kgtrains2 Member

[​IMG]
    I have 2 of them over my 40 gallon breeder no issues on sps/lps corals here ,love them

13. nemmaninme

nemmaninme New Member

If your tank is no deeper than 18" you should be fine. I have a 24x24x24 but I am growing SPS with 2 T5s and a 26HD.
    I have no issues with light but when I had two first version AI Primes I did have issues with enough light. I moved those two lights to another tank that is 18" deep and I have no issues in that tank now. If you feel you need more light than the 3 AI Prime HD's I would look adding T5s it will soften the disco effect and give just enough light but not over power things. If you spring for dimmable ballast that even makes it better.

14. nemmaninme

nemmaninme New Member

I think you will be fine with the 3 AI Prime HDs if spaced properly, I have two AI Primes on a 30 gallon that is 18" deep.
    If you feel you need just a little more coverage add two or three T5s. I have done that an I now have a mixed reef with 1 26HD two t5s on a 24x24x24 cube.

60 Gallon.JPG

30 Gallon.jpg

JoshH likes this.
  15. Mikeht11

Mikeht11 Member

I just added a 3rd prime hd. 48 long and 20 deep. You will be fine with 3, 4 max

22B1AF36-5161-40A8-9BB0-441B4E3FEB96.jpeg

16. Mariette

I’ve really enjoyed learning about most of the aspects of this wonderful hobby. From flow rates to turnover times to fish species and corals, its been fun. But lights are driving me absolutely mental. I’m ripping my hair out over this. Agghhh!!!!

JimFuller likes this.
  17. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Active Member

I run a Hydra 26 HD over a Reefer 170, and run it at roughly 55 watts of power (similar to an AI Prime HD); when I turned up the whites I bleached the @#$% out of a bunch of corals including ones at the bottom. If you ran Prime HD's at max (or close to it) I'd think that 2-3 lights would be fine for softies and LPS. 2 Hydra 26 HD's would also work.

Look at it this way - it's like a multiple choice question with multiple correct answers! :-D

18. Scott chilton

Scott chilton Member Build Thread Contributor

here is what 3 primes can do (cad lights 68) MVIMG_20180701_214823.jpeg MVIMG_20180715_155401~2-01.jpeg

mattzang and Mikeht11 like this.
  19. Mariette

That’s encouraging. How long is the tank?

Draft saved Draft deleted