AI Prime HD

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I run primes and love them. Seems two of them is the magic number when tank is 24" or more
These lights offer nice shimmer and grows everything

Wh00pS32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome.

I wrote to reefsupplies.ca re the AI primes which is a step down from the 26’s. They said “3 on a 5 foot will suffice for low light coral such as soft, nems, zoa’s and mushrooms. You can also have higher light coral if you place them close to the fixture.”

So if 3 primes would work ok on a 5 foot, I assume 2 26’s would be good and 2 52’s would be overkill. But I’m on here asking for advise from ppl who know better because I don’t know what I’m talking about

Imo 2 26's on a five foot tank would not be enough due to shadowing, yes you would have one more puck but they are pretty close together on the 26's and at least with Primes you can place the single pucks apart plus you could always add another at a later date if required.
A lot of people don't realise just how powerfull these little pucks are and totaly underestimate them.
I've been a Prime user for around 4 years (since release) on various tanks and tend to keep the same sort of stock you are thinking of, i have never had a problem with the light output they give out.

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a WB 45.2 Platinum Frag with the dimensions of 24x24x12. I have two AI Prime HD and keep acans, trachophylia, torches, Yuma mushrooms and nfs gorgonian. The lights are great - don’t/can’t use full power. Get good growth. Very happy with Prime HDs

Avp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran two ai primes on a 48 inch long lps and soft coral tank for years and had nothing but success. I would get the three for your tank. If you ever want more light you can add a fourth and get much better spread than two 26s would give you.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran two ai primes on a 48 inch long lps and soft coral tank for years and had nothing but success. I would get the three for your tank. If you ever want more light you can add a fourth and get much better spread than two 26s would give you.

So I’m either going w 3 primes knowing I may add a 4th down the road, or 2 of the 26’s knowing u may add a 3rd down the road. Decisions decisions. I wonder if AI has a PAR reading chart at different depths for each of their lights

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 4 AI HD Primes on mt 75 Gallon tank. I go have some SPS, but mostly LPS and softies. They will penetrate to the bottom and do good. Picture shows what is happening.

2856.jpg

Tank-Roberta3.jpg

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 4 AI HD Primes on mt 75 Gallon tank. I go have some SPS, but mostly LPS and softies. They will penetrate to the bottom and do good. Picture shows what is happening.

2856.jpg

Tank-Roberta3.jpg

May I ask how long the tank is? Also, it looks like you have another light above the primes. Or am I mistaken?

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that guy is using the basic bracket mount and then runs a par test at the end using the AB+ settings basically, so that gives you an idea

and they do some par readings too

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that guy is using the basic bracket mount and then runs a par test at the end using the AB+ settings basically, so that gives you an idea

and they do some par readings too

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you. I have officially made my decision. I’m going w 3 primes. Thank you thank you thank you!

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask how long the tank is? Also, it looks like you have another light above the primes. Or am I mistaken?
The tank is 48 inches long. There is a fan for cooling, Ehiem Auto Feeder, and Television above the tank. Only lights are the AI HD Primes. Tank is 21 inches deep and 18 inches from to back. It is a Standard Aqueon Reef Ready 75 Gallon Tank.

Kgtrains2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e29865c73532864f13dd41a0ed19a3fb.jpg

I have 2 of them over my 40 gallon breeder no issues on sps/lps corals here ,love them

nemmaninme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is no deeper than 18" you should be fine. I have a 24x24x24 but I am growing SPS with 2 T5s and a 26HD.
I have no issues with light but when I had two first version AI Primes I did have issues with enough light. I moved those two lights to another tank that is 18" deep and I have no issues in that tank now. If you feel you need more light than the 3 AI Prime HD's I would look adding T5s it will soften the disco effect and give just enough light but not over power things. If you spring for dimmable ballast that even makes it better.

nemmaninme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine with the 3 AI Prime HDs if spaced properly, I have two AI Primes on a 30 gallon that is 18" deep.
If you feel you need just a little more coverage add two or three T5s. I have done that an I now have a mixed reef with 1 26HD two t5s on a 24x24x24 cube.

60 Gallon.JPG

30 Gallon.jpg

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve really enjoyed learning about most of the aspects of this wonderful hobby. From flow rates to turnover times to fish species and corals, its been fun. But lights are driving me absolutely mental. I’m ripping my hair out over this. Agghhh!!!!

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Hydra 26 HD over a Reefer 170, and run it at roughly 55 watts of power (similar to an AI Prime HD); when I turned up the whites I bleached the @#$% out of a bunch of corals including ones at the bottom. If you ran Prime HD's at max (or close to it) I'd think that 2-3 lights would be fine for softies and LPS. 2 Hydra 26 HD's would also work.

Look at it this way - it's like a multiple choice question with multiple correct answers! :-D

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back