OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coraline will consume the big 3, anything with a skeleton will use the big 3, it’s just a easy test, no harder than testing for nitrate. If one is off, you just pour a a few milliliters of liquid in the tank, your all patched up, super easy, happy tank.

It appears to be 3 separate tests. No?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to be 3 separate tests. No?
Yea but you mainly test alk. If alk is fine calcium and magnesium don’t drift to much. I test alk twice a week, cal and mag once every other week.

Elliott Comans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 primes for roughly same size tank. Totally happy with light output for my lps

Still dose though, micro lords and other lps do have growing skeletons

This pic is coral at bottom of tank, still growing and glowing-don't let someone else change your budget

20190511_114647.jpg

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 primes for roughly same size tank. Totally happy with light output for my lps

Still dose though, micro lords and other lps do have growing skeletons

This pic is coral at bottom of tank, still growing and glowing-don't let someone else change your budget

20190511_114647.jpg

4 primes? It would be less expensive to get 2 26’s. no?
Loving that pic by the way :)

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 primes will be great for softies and some low light lps.

2 26’s will be great for all lps and softies, easy sps, but you may get dark spots in the middle and on the edges.

2 26’s and 1 prime would give you great coverage with no dark spots and allow you to grow pretty much anything. This is a full led option. Your tank is long so you might need 3 primes and 2 26’s. A prime for both edges and one for the middle if you want pure led, grow anything you want setup.

2 26’s or 4 primes & a t5 hybrid fixture will give you great coverage and even high light demanding corals can be placed mid to high in your tank, no shadowing, green light to buy any cool coral you desire.

I’d start with 4 primes or 2 26’s and go from there.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that's the tradeoff. same number of pucks, but the 4 primes you can space them out more. you should watch the brs video on lighting an sps tank with them, they had like 8 primes on a 48" tank lol

f8thless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you can get by with Primes but the Hydra 26s might be a better bet.

Another option which I had decent success with are the China Black Boxes.

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.....I would have to disagree with the ones telling you to get more lights. I would recommend you rent out a PAR meter and measure it yourself. There are a few big name companies that will rent out PAR meters for you. Once you do that you will see how much par you are getting with 3. I will say, you won't have very good spread with 3 in a 5 foot tank. But you can still place corals under the lights. If you do plan on getting more lights. I would just invest in more AI Primes and spread them out. Its all about even spread. There are many people to grow sps using Primes.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see the picture … :(

but anyways 26s like he said are great have you made up your mind yet?

No :( we might just go fowlr for now and go w cheap LEDs. Maybe the MicMol - Smart LED Aquarium Light, Aqua Air AA-1200 Marine 96W, 48-60in for $320 on Amazon. Didn’t realize lights would be so expensive.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please forgive my intrusion on this thread to ask a question but it seems like we have some knowledgeable reefers here.....I keep no SPS and do not plan to; only softies, LPS, etc. My tank is 24" high and 4' long and from my research, 2 x HD Hydra 26 should be adequate. Am I correct?
Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please forgive my intrusion on this thread to ask a question but it seems like we have some knowledgeable reefers here.....I keep no SPS and do not plan to; only softies, LPS, etc. My tank is 24" high and 4' long and from my research, 2 x HD Hydra 26 should be adequate. Am I correct?
Thanks in advance.

There is no such thing as intrusion on a semi public forum :)

I had the ppl at Coral Box tell me 2 26s would be ok for my purposes. But I got overwhelmed by others telling me that’s not the case. Your comment has actually led me to consider maybe go that route and add one later if needed when the budget allows. Thx :)

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your response. One LFS suggested I go 2 x 52 but from my research, I believe 2 x 26 should be more than adequate.

You’re welcome.

I wrote to reefsupplies.ca re the AI primes which is a step down from the 26’s. They said “3 on a 5 foot will suffice for low light coral such as soft, nems, zoa’s and mushrooms. You can also have higher light coral if you place them close to the fixture.”

So if 3 primes would work ok on a 5 foot, I assume 2 26’s would be good and 2 52’s would be overkill. But I’m on here asking for advise from ppl who know better because I don’t know what I’m talking about

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back