AI Vega

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to wait to order these, wanted to see them over a tank first. noone was posting pictures of thats so I ordered 2 blacks from Premiumaquatics, should have them thursday. Only 2 day shipping from them to me.

You are now the lab rat! Post them pics when you get em and a review!

Zoacoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kbra, who you buy them from? did you get the vega color or blue? Black or white housing?

MBSL55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 5 of them (black chassis, color) on EXT mounts over my new build:

IMG_0205.jpg

MBSL55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is that tank??

260 gallon rimless 3/4" Starphire, dual glass reinforced overflows, PVC bottom with 1/2" glass reinforcement on the bottom. My actual water volume is probably a lot less than 260 given the thickness of the glass, bottom reinforcement, and overflows.

I redid some of the rock recently and am waiting on the sump, need to do plumbing, etc. Just popped in a couple of Koralias and an airstone for now to keep the rock and sand going.

I should also have a PAR meter this weekend and will be able to get some measurements and compare to my existing tank that has AI Sols over it.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 5 of them (black chassis, color) on EXT mounts over my new build:

IMG_0205.jpg

Whoa that is a lot of light! Any comments on them yet?

nice tank!

Edit: just read your post. Awesome.

Last edited:

MBSL55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa that is a lot of light! Any comments on them yet?

nice tank!

Thanks! Still waiting on finishing the build before I move any livestock over so hard to judge things as no corals or fish are in the tank. The fixtures themselves are, to me, a lot sleeker than the AI Sol. I also really like the EXT mounts. They are rock-solid and very easy to work with. Coverage seems just as good if not better than the AI Sols I've got on my existing setup. The color is definitely different, although I can't really pin down what it is. More of a 14k Halide look than the Sol Super Blues is the best way I can describe it. I'm borrowing our club PAR meter this weekend so I can compare PAR levels with the Sols I currently have and will post what I find.

My controller had some issues out of the box so AI is sending me a new one today. Thus, I haven't had a chance to mess with the more advanced features.

A call to AI confirmed I can swap out pucks so I may take a couple of red/green pucks from on fixture and pop them into another so that I'll have one fixture with 4 green and 4 red LED's. If I do that, I'll take PAR readings for that as well to see how it affects it and some pictures to see if there is any sort of visible difference. Figured I might as well since I can't do much until my sump and plumbing are done.

MBSL55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Hopefully when I finish this build I'll have time to start visiting forums again and venture out past my local marine forum. Figured I could start by contributing here so if anyone wants specific PAR readings at various depths, heights, distances from the sides of the fixture, AWL etc. just let me know.

OP
OP
Kbra

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Hopefully when I finish this build I'll have time to start visiting forums again and venture out past my local marine forum. Figured I could start by contributing here so if anyone wants specific PAR readings at various depths, heights, distances from the sides of the fixture, AWL etc. just let me know.

Are the ext attached to your stand or wall?

MBSL55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EXTs are attached to the stand. Wife would kill me if I tried bolting anything to the wall or ceiling (which is insanely high up anyway). Haven't had as much luck with the controller. Mine is overly sensitive (as in you hold it the wrong way and it changes modes or settings) so I called AI and they are swapping it out for me. Seems others have had issues with their controller being too sensitive, although not nearly as bad as mine, so they are working on an update or patch to take care of that issue.

MBSL55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to edit my post but can't figure out how to do that.

Got my controller issue resolved today. I tried plugging it into my computer's USB and it works fine now. Must be a bad power adapter that is causing interference with the controller. If anyone is running into button sensitivity issues, give this a shot to diagnose the problem.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back