Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yzu5ydan.jpg

MBSL55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, I don't feel so guilty about spending the money to order 5 at once when I see others getting multiples too :bigsmile:

MBSL55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 4 for a 9 foot tank. Might need one more but we will see

I might actually be able to go with one less on my 7 footer. But, more light can't be bad right?

I went ahead and dissected a couple of fixtures last night to see how hard it would be to do a puck swap or change out. It was pretty simple and straightforward, especially if you have taken apart an AI Sol before. Remove the four torx T15 screws at the bottom:

IMG_0217.jpg

Gently massage the cover off around the power input section:
IMG_0218.jpg

Remove the power distribution/wireless board:
IMG_0219.jpg

Remove the driver board from each puck you want to remove. These all appear to be the same and modular:
IMG_0221.jpg

Remove the actual LED puck by taking out the 4 torx T10 screws:
IMG_0220.jpg

Assemble in reverse order, just put the lenses on before attaching the cover.

Easy as pie.

MBSL55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapped out some pucks so that I would have 4 red and 4 green in one fixture. My new AI Vega Super Color:
IMG_0222.JPG

It might be worthwhile to move the inner pucks to the out side position for better red/green spread and coverage. For now, I'll stick with the stock option though and see how it does. I swapped all 4 pucks I removed back to their original fixtures and put everything back together and back over my tank in about 25 minutes.

MBSL55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the AI website, an upgrade for Sols will be available for $250 as I think you'll just be keeping the heatsink, power adapter, and fan from the Sol but it will bring your Sols up to Vega spec. Glad to see AI kept this upgrade path available although I don't know when the upgrade will be out. Hence the reason I ordered the Vega for the new build and am just selling (or rather have pre-sold) my AI Sols.

@1Snapple: Close, that was taken on my work bench where I have projects for my other hobbies too. Wilson Combat 9mm mag for the wife's STI Guardian 9mm. I stick with 45's though :bigsmile:

FishScale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the AI website, an upgrade for Sols will be available for $250 as I think you'll just be keeping the heatsink, power adapter, and fan from the Sol but it will bring your Sols up to Vega spec. Glad to see AI kept this upgrade path available although I don't know when the upgrade will be out. Hence the reason I ordered the Vega for the new build and am just selling (or rather have pre-sold) my AI Sols.

@1Snapple: Close, that was taken on my work bench where I have projects for my other hobbies too. Wilson Combat 9mm mag for the wife's STI Guardian 9mm. I stick with 45's though :bigsmile:

Thanks for the info...cant wait to upgrade mine!

OP
OP
Kbra

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, I like the mounting system too. It looks very clean.

I wish they would allow you to enable the demo mode via the controller. For that vid I had to coordinate with the wifey to hit all four reset buttons on the lights at the same time. A controller mode like the storms would be sick

OP
OP
Kbra

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the trick for everyone setting up multiple lights. When setting up more than one light, don't set the correct positions. Just let it pick whatever it thinks they are and hit accept until they are all set. Then move the lights into the right order. It's the only way I got mine to work ay least...

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look FANTASTIC! Now I'm even sadder that i have to wait until tax return time to upgrade both of my Sol Blues and add one more Vega. 1k - That's a lot of cash. If only I had known about this this past February I might have waited. $1800 total unit investment with upgrades opposed to $1500 if I waited for 3 Vegas from the start... :eek:

125g mixed reef Peninsula
salinity: 1.025, CA: 500, ALK: 9.0DKH, NO3: 0, PO4: 0.25, MAG: 1355
AI SOL BLUES/ 24" T5 Combo
30g Sump, 1400gph Return Flow, 3700 gph PH Flow

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%

Back