AIO insert decisions

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,

My AIO insert from FijiCube just arrived. It looks great but, as I knew from the dimensions posted on their website, there is roughly a half inch gap between one side of the insert and the wall of my tank. They include magnets and clams so I can have the insert attached “temporarily” which would allow me to take it out so I could clean that gap, but, I think this would also mean that sand gets trapped under the insert and I’m not sure how easy it would be to remove when all is said and done. The other option is to silicone it in place which would keep sand out from under it but I’m just imagining that half inch gap becoming packed with algae and maybe Aiptasia should I ever get any in my tank and I have no idea how I would clean it out.

Thoughts on what I should do?

93886FCF-09E7-4FF2-8FE9-0C3F33C4C400.jpeg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much about algae or aptasia back there. There's very little light in that area on most setups, so algae wouldn't be too much of a concern and if you have aptasia, it will be everywhere, not just in that spot. My only concern is the collection of detritus, but this can be alleviated with a turkey baster from time to time (or perform your water changes from that corner). I would either leave it be, or if you wanted to seal that area off, I would use a strip of black acrylic and glue it to the box with weld on and silicone the entire box in place.

You are right about having sand go underneath your insert if you take it in and out regularly.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back