AIO Reef Tanks: Which one gets your vote?

Have you ever owned an AIO Reef Tank?

• Yes I am running one now

Votes: 452 50.7%
  • YES in the past

Votes: 136 15.2%
  • NO

Votes: 188 21.1%
  • No but want to in the future

Votes: 108 12.1%
  • Other

Votes: 8 0.9%

• Total voters

Nano-DaveJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve had a JBJ rimless 30 gallon AIO for almost 3 years now. Running a single AI Prime HD and an Icecap K1 nano skimmer. Just keeping softies and LPS. No complaints!

I also just set up a Fluval Flex 15 in my home office. I upgraded it with an AI prime HD light and an IM mightyJet pump. I didn’t want anything too big and for $129 it seemed like a good deal. I built a diy media basket for now but will probably pick up an InTank basket.

BA3F01EF-9FF7-48F8-B33F-D9F01599B962.jpeg 01EED884-0650-46ED-98C1-DC1DA25801FE.jpeg

wheels 45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running a 32 gallon AIO Coralife biocube for over a year now. I really like the fact that the the glass goes all the way around and that there is a lid. The thing that I don't like are the lights. They are not great. You only have 2 colours, white or blue. I wish they were more controllable, with an app or remote. I am also still trying to play around with flow so there are no dead spots.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began with a 29g JBJ a long time ago. :) It was a great little tank, but I like a bit more room in the sump. Now, I do run a 32g Coralife Biocube, but it is for my live rock qt and future observation tank only. My mollies are currently in a little Fluval5g, but no corals in it.
I like the little AIO, but I would hate a large one. I just like being able to get into the sump and work and see what I am doing.
One thing I hate on many of the biocubes is the rounded glass. It messes with my vision and makes everything blurry. I like straight glass with no curves. I cannot handle bow fronts, half circles, or round tanks either. But, that is just my wonky vision issues.

JLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy another Innovative Marine, probably. I like the dimensions of their line. But the big, hidden drawback of AIOs, in my opinion, is that it’s nearly impossible to clean the rear chamber. There’s just no space to fit my hand or a suction hose down there! That’s not a problem in the beginning, but once you are 3 or 4 years into it, it starts to really bother you. There are these filthy little corners in my filtration chambers, and I can’t get to them without truly absurd amounts of effort. It was a real eyesore by the end.

So that’s why I, personally, will never do another AIO. You only have that problem with AIOs. HOBs are all shallow or wide enough to let your fingers reach every little nook and cranny, plus you can remove it from the tank to empty it out and move any way you need to to give it a thorough cleaning. Sumps give you plenty of space to maneuver in, and by being so large, also don’t trap detritus quite so easily. Only AIOs have this one particular pitfall.

Jen1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voted other. While it isn't a true AIO tank, I have a 55 gallon with the AquaMaxx AIO Hang on skimmer, filter, fuge hang on back unit. So far, I think it's ok even though i wish it was slightly larger. Time will tell as I get more experienced if I still like it or not.

20200724_111907.jpg

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger is... worse! Going against the historical message here.

I’ve got a 132 gallon Red Sea and an IM 40 Nuvo.

So many more failure points in the larger sump systems. So much more time and money for water changes...

I have also found there is a lot of great hardware out there from Tunze, IM, CoralVue, and Aqua Maxx and so forth for smaller tanks. Even stellar HOB skimmers.

With the cost of a larger return pump, larger heaters, etc. - as well as larger water changes - I’m inclined to go AIO with an Apex and a Tunze skimmer for life. Doing so gives room to house electronics and a large ATO under the cabinet.

I’d recommend AIO tanks for most new hobbyists

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two innovative marine AIO. A 25 lagoon and a 30L. I think they are awesome tanks and recommend them. If I were two get another one I would get the Fuji cube 38g peninsula. Only reason for the Fuji cube is IM doesn’t make a peninsula that big.

What I like and dislike.

If the tank has to be moved, it’s somewhat easy not having to deal with plumbing.The equipment is easy to access for maintenance

I dislike the look of the equipment showing in the back. Limited room in the back compartment for equipment. That’s about it for the negatives, I love AIO tanks.

30L before I turned it into a frag tank
AE4B9322-84A5-4623-B1D2-139EBBF57C8E.jpeg

25 lagoon a couple months ago
D5F790DF-1FCF-4A84-85C6-52E58316D8B5.jpeg

Last edited:

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. If you were buying an AIO reef tank today which brand would you choose and why?
Definitely JBJ or Innovative Marine. They are a very simple and easy to run/maintain. Love the rimless option in AIO tanks.
2. What do you like and dislike most about "all in one" reef tanks?
Plus on the skimmers and other equipment you would usually have in the sump etc.

IMG_3047.JPG

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run an Innovative Marine 20 AIO. It was a pretty solid tank, liked it a lot. If I could do it again though, I'd definitely go for one of the IM Lagoon tanks. Either the 25 or 50.

I have a waterbox now.. not AIO, but it's rock solid. I'm sure their AIO tanks are amazing also.

Nano-DaveJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy another Innovative Marine, probably. I like the dimensions of their line. But the big, hidden drawback of AIOs, in my opinion, is that it’s nearly impossible to clean the rear chamber. There’s just no space to fit my hand or a suction hose down there! That’s not a problem in the beginning, but once you are 3 or 4 years into it, it starts to really bother you. There are these filthy little corners in my filtration chambers, and I can’t get to them without truly absurd amounts of effort. It was a real eyesore by the end.

So that’s why I, personally, will never do another AIO. You only have that problem with AIOs. HOBs are all shallow or wide enough to let your fingers reach every little nook and cranny, plus you can remove it from the tank to empty it out and move any way you need to to give it a thorough cleaning. Sumps give you plenty of space to maneuver in, and by being so large, also don’t trap detritus quite so easily. Only AIOs have this one particular pitfall.
Very good point. Especially on the IM tanks with compartments that don’t go all the way to the bottom and just can’t be reached. We have the same thing with our JBJ.

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my own AIO out of a 20L my neighbor gave me and ran it for a couple of years but the evaporation and swings were too much over time. I ended up plumbing into my 450g system for some better stability and reduced maintenance.
67541710_10101060852639776_402600871298334720_o.jpg

But an AIO system is still a great option for those who don't like to tinker or upgrade as long as they keep things simple and don't overload their bioload. They are very nice and clean for living room displays.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO Tanks I've had (In Order):

Innovative Marine 20
Innovative Marine 40
Innovative Marine 10
Innovative Marine Peninsula 20
Innovative Marine 30
Waterbox 20

Never more than 2 at a time fortunately I don't know how people handle that. AIO tanks take a lot of flak but it's really nice to just set it on a table and know it'll work well. I've been running the Waterbox 20 for over a year now and realizing all of the stuff I used to have hooked into my IM40 (skimmer, marinepure blocks, etc.) wasn't necessary. I didn't sleep well for days the first time I plumbed my first tank...never had that issue with my AIO.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk about popular All In One (AIO) Tanks!

What Is An All-In-One Aquarium? – It is an aquarium designed for saltwater that has the filtration installed behind the back glass of the tank. The water flows in through an overflow, gets filtered, heated, then pumped back into the tank. The discrete design of today’s AIO aquariums create beautiful centerpieces in any room. - The Beginners Reef

AIO tanks are popular because they can be set up quickly, compactly and sometimes more inexpensively. The maintenance can also be easier and cheaper as well. But today I don't really want to talk about the pros and cons of an AIO tank as much as I want to talk about which ones are most popular here on Reef2Reef! So with that being said please answer the following questions:

1. If you were buying an AIO reef tank today which brand would you choose and why?

2. What do you like and dislike most about "all in one" reef tanks?

@TinpanVA
1596039932603.png
I had a few in the past three years, current USA half Moon 27 gallons, I love them because I gut them out the all-in-one feature and then I have more real estate for my children of the sea. I drill the back for bulkhead fittings and I make it more efficient adding a sump below it. That's why I like them. Sorry maybe not the answer you're looking for

Screenshot_20200803-112001.png

Back