AIO Tank recommendations please, Thinking about getting back in the game.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a blowout/meltdown awhile back, I am considering a return to the hobby. I had a tank crack and following a frantic livestock rescue mission, and a significant loss of time and dollars, I hung it up. I had a 32 gallon AIO, and I would be somewhere in the same ball park size wise. Slightly bigger, slightly smaller would be ok, but not a cube configuration. I found that I do not like the vertical nature of a cube configuration. I would be looking at a YWG, some type of fire fish, a possum wrasse, cleaner shrimp and CUC. Maybe one or two additional TOTALLY PEACEFUL fish (code for no clownfish). I do like a sand tiger conch too. I saw a AOI conversion kit for a 40 gallon breeder from Fiji Cube and I am intrigued by that. Anyone have experience with those? Any other recommendations are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tenecor Aquariums has an AIO drop in for 40B as well. They also have a full lineup of AIO tanks as well.

I recently picked one up, it's still early in the setup game, but some images and a review are in my build thread.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tenecor Aquariums has an AIO drop in for 40B as well. They also have a full lineup of AIO tanks as well.

I recently picked one up, it's still early in the setup game, but some images and a review are in my build thread.
Great! I will check them out. Thanks

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could look at the Fluval line, ie: 13.5 Evo or 32.5 Flex?
Oh Yes, the Fluval 13.5 is on my radar. Maybe it is a little on the small side though? I have a 15 gallon flex I used for fresh water and I really just do not like the curved front. Too much of a pain to clean. The Flex 15 will probably be my hospital tank if I rebuild.

Thanks you for the suggestions!

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the direction I am leaning. Any red flags?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup, go for an innovative marine with the Maxijet return pump

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re probably good but the im stands are soooooooo nice and worth it

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cobalt C-Vue 18 gallon AIO.

They also make a 40 gallon and 50 gallon but both are currently out of stock.

1656197659371.png

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have you considered not going AIO?

If you want the simplicity of no sump, you can just drop a hob filter on the tank. Oase now makes one with built in heater so you won't have any equipment in the display.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the suggestions! I love to be able to come to this site and tap into soooo much knowledge and experience! I have identified a potential additional stand, so I may not be so limited by dimensions. The search continues...

BrotatoSalad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a lagoon for 5 or 6 years at this point. Set it up in college, moved it with me when I moved out, drained and sat in a corner for a year, and recently refilled. The glass thickness seems "over-engineered" and the seals are clean. Based on my experience, I could definitely recommend any of the AIOs from IM. The only downside is you're fairly limited on skimmers if you want to add one.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good, make your decision wisely. I have a 15 gallon water box and my son has a 40 gallon innovative marine. Particularly like the stand on the I M. Both these tanks are top drawer and don’t think you can go wrong with either company

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a lagoon for 5 or 6 years at this point. Set it up in college, moved it with me when I moved out, drained and sat in a corner for a year, and recently refilled. The glass thickness seems "over-engineered" and the seals are clean. Based on my experience, I could definitely recommend any of the AIOs from IM. The only downside is you're fairly limited on skimmers if you want to add one.
Good pointers. Thank you, I am going with a light bio-load (just a few peaceful fish). Not really planning on a skimmer. Can anyone talk me out of that decision?

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good pointers. Thank you, I am going with a light bio-load (just a few peaceful fish). Not really planning on a skimmer. Can anyone talk me out of that decision?
I have a waterbox20 with no skimmer.
Two clowns and blue neon goby. Assorted LPS and SPS... I run purigen and seagel 24/7 and dose microbacter 7 and microbacter clean weekly. I tried a skimmer and there was very little skimmate.

I do run a skimmer in my moderately stocked 46 gallon. I dry skim and pull almost a full cup every week of dark sludge.

If you truly intend on keeping the stock low, a skimmer is almost useless.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back