aipastia in its begining form?

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning reefers. Im not new here but am still figureing out how to navigate thru our awesome forum so please work w me.You are also going to ask for a picture although that wont b possible due to no human fault, the equipment needed for that Im afarid is out of my league. The problem Im haveing is there is a few critters showing up on a clean, non-porus rock and at this point of its development they resemble very tiny feather duster heads without a hole or tube. Very flimsey n wavy in current and you can discern a pattern on its visual face..? I truly hope Im not wasteing my or anyone elses time here. I have seen this in the past, the feather-duster looking animal beging to become visable and if memory serves it turned out it was glass anemonies (aipastia). I started a frag of blue sympodium on this particular rock and now months later these guys r showing up n I dont want them getting out of hand if that is truly what these r.If not, any ideas to help identify would b great and if they r indeed aipastia would the best solution at this point b a simple toothbrush and good scrubbing in a bucket. Or perhaps place rock n bucket and rid-x them.? The main reason for all of this is I dont want to lose the sympodium or more importantly it is sitting right next to my meat coral whom I really dont want to upset. Thanks everyone n happy reefing

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass nems and aptasia are not the same thing. Chances are if it’s a small, brownish red nem you are looking at aptasia, but it is indeed impossible to be sure without a picture.

OP
OP
rusty hannon

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A photo would help
Without a doubt but as i stated they r too small see-thru and flimsy for us to capture on a camera.So far at this stage a magnifying glass is how weve seen them clearly enough. Im sorry n realize the situation here is an almost impossible one, but still we try.

OP
OP
rusty hannon

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0714.jpg

Hello all. My wife was able to get a passable picture of some of these little critters. I'm pretty sure it is aipstasia, but I wanted verification from you guys. And how to get rid of these safely from around my sympodium and meat coral. I can take the rock out and treat it in a bucket with a toothbrush or with aipstasia x. Any thoughts? Thanks, everyone.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a feather duster (The stripey one toward the bottom of the rock) - Harmless filter feeder.

OP
OP
rusty hannon

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a feather duster (The stripey one toward the bottom of the rock) - Harmless filter feeder.
Thank you. Question though, a featherduster (ime) has had a tube or a hole to hide tube in and this rock is not porous enough for me to see. I do trust your thoughts and agree. Hence, this post n query.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all have visible tubes, especially the tiny species found commonly as hitchikers.

A quick test would be to wave something on or near it. It will retreat instantly. Aiptasia tends to retreat much slower.

Im 100% its not an aiptasia still - They are anemones and dont have such a synchronized form of tentacles, they are more "anemone" like being a species of anemone themselves.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there little hairs around those splines, if so, filter feeder.
It’s is blurry so could easily be incorrect.
Aptasia splines are smooth, or at least, the ones Ive seen.
Some type of clove polyp?

thisisit

View Badges
Reaction score
3100 Glen Oaks Ave, White Bear Lake, MN, 55110
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning reefers. Im not new here but am still figureing out how to navigate thru our awesome forum so please work w me.You are also going to ask for a picture although that wont b possible due to no human fault, the equipment needed for that Im afarid is out of my league. The problem Im haveing is there is a few critters showing up on a clean, non-porus rock and at this point of its development they resemble very tiny feather duster heads without a hole or tube. Very flimsey n wavy in current and you can discern a pattern on its visual face..? I truly hope Im not wasteing my or anyone elses time here. I have seen this in the past, the feather-duster looking animal beging to become visable and if memory serves it turned out it was glass anemonies (aipastia). I started a frag of blue sympodium on this particular rock and now months later these guys r showing up n I dont want them getting out of hand if that is truly what these r.If not, any ideas to help identify would b great and if they r indeed aipastia would the best solution at this point b a simple toothbrush and good scrubbing in a bucket. Or perhaps place rock n bucket and rid-x them.? The main reason for all of this is I dont want to lose the sympodium or more importantly it is sitting right next to my meat coral whom I really dont want to upset. Thanks everyone n happy reefing
Many years ago I had trouble with Aipstasia. Tried many things unsuccesfully until I bought Aipstasia-X. You fill the included syringe with the white paste-like goo and squirt a little onto the center of the single Aipstasia. The Aipstasia "Head," immediately shrivels up and dies.
Yes, you have to treat each one but only one time. Tedious doing this every day for each new one that pops up but well worth it.
As a few new Aipstasias sprout each day you squirt each one and soon they all gone!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back