Aiptasia 911

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you add more shrimp to the overflow chamber , maybe some netting to prevent shrimp from going down the drain pipe?

Personally bro, you need to throw the kitchen sink here. I'd highly suggest you call Reeftown, that's the best advise I can give you, I don't care if you added some yet, get an order from him, this will be your best defense and most permanent method of removal. All other methods seems to allow a trace for them to re-produce, Nudi's seem to have the ability to consume the entire aiptasia from the surface it was attached to leaving no trace/spores to re-grow.

Yes, Wand will be fun, kill all you can "SEE", it will HELP for sure.

Might sound a bit extreme but I'd add as many peppermints as you can, forcing them to fight for food, I've added as many as 14 for a 90 g treatment. They can also reach the one's the wand can't so these are important and you can always return the shrimps, they're easy to catch.

Best of luck, keep us posted!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a problem with Aptasia-X In 30:years provided flow was off for 15 minutes, a small ball on the mouth of Aptasia, let the Aptasia pull it in, then,small circle of the stuff around where the middle was, wait 15 minutes, flow back on.

Had about 50 maybe a year ago, hit them every time I seen one, took months, but, I have not seen even 1 now for 8 months.......you just have to stay the course.

I do use 1 small pep, he gets the ones I can’t.

BruceLeeroy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert but I did see a great idea from the brstv guys, instead of using the many different devices and methods out there that invariable spread them like wildfire, he said harass them into a hole or crack and then use putty to seal the whole or crack. Sounds especially useful at the start of an infestation. Worth a shot I suppose.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...just adding to your sample size:

IME Aptaisia X only spread them for me: best use for Aptasia-X: keep the needle applicator: flush the contents to kill Aptaisia in L.Erie .....
peppermint shrimp: hit or miss: I’ve had only 6 clear an entire 210 , whereas another batch didn’t touch them ...feeding shrimp made no diff....

“he said harass them into a hole or crack and then use putty to seal the whole or crack”

Most effective IME is a “Hot Shot” of 35% H2O2: dissolves them like Dorthy did the Wicked Witch .... they decompose into gas bubbles (very funny to watch ha ha) .
I seal the sarcophagus with 2 part Epoxy ..;Muted

Last edited:
OP
OP
jblasi

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input. You all have been great, seriously. Some of the recommended solutions that you all have stated have definitely been tried, time and time again. F-Aiptaisa(works, when then are flat on the rocks), Aiptasia-X(used many times, did not work for me), peppermints(have worked in the past, currently have 2 in the tank going on 2 years), file/copperband(sketchy on the results due to being an acro tanks). Bergiah’s(currently have 8 in the tank, or did?) Manjano Wand(in the mail, about to wage war!) I may revisit the peppermint avenue today at the LFS for the sump. As most things do in this hobby, the outbreak has gotten worse before it will get better. As promised I will keep everyone posted on the results of the wand and see if I can get pictures today of this nasty plague that has taken advantage of me being gone so much for work.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I have any predators that would be interested. No wrasses, just 4 tangs, anthias, clowns, Fire fish, peppermints, And cleaners.
Peppermint will hunt them down, also amphipods will eat the eggs if you have any.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s unfortunate :(. I do have a very healthy pod population. The peppermints are so dang lazy, I did not ever think about them possibly feeding on the bergiah’s.
I would consider creating a safe place First were they can breed, and as babies are born keep putting them in the tank. This way you will have always a steady supply of nudibranch. I can sent you a link to my thread to a simple set up that can be made In the sump with a few plastic container and some airline if you wich

OP
OP
jblasi

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider creating a safe place First were they can breed, and as babies are born keep putting them in the tank. This way you will have always a steady supply of nudibranch. I can sent you a link to my thread to a simple set up that can be made In the sump with a few plastic container and some airline if you wich
That would be awesome, thank you!

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be awesome, thank you!

In my thread I use two containers, on the first one add some anemones from your tank and on the second keep your nudibranch. I’ve bought two adults a couple days ago and I already got my first cord of eggs. Even though my goal is different from yours the basis to keep them going is the same. Having a container with aips in the sump just makes feeding easy, only a minute a day. Grão some tweezers and move one anemone a day into the nudibranch tray. Hope it helps.

OP
OP
jblasi

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update on this catastrophe, the wand has been delayed mid-shipping. But I had to go to the LFS to pick up a few things and I figured what the heck, I’ll give the file fish a try. Since several of you recommended that advice and had success. Do not leave any stone unturned. Plus, the little guy is so ugly it’s kind of cool lol.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used the wand? That is about the only thing I have not tried.

I have the wand. Doesn't help as tip can't get deep in holes. Works okay for xenia, zoas, but I wouldn't do a lot at once because they will release toxins in the water.

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update on this catastrophe, the wand has been delayed mid-shipping. But I had to go to the LFS to pick up a few things and I figured what the heck, I’ll give the file fish a try. Since several of you recommended that advice and had success. Do not leave any stone unturned. Plus, the little guy is so ugly it’s kind of cool lol.
Well, if you ate aiptasia for a living, you'd be an ugly sucker too!:D

M

member 99594

View Badges
Wow. Is this my tank and experience? Geeze. These little buggers are a pain in the butt.

I have also tried the aiptasia x - no luck
Peppermints - no luck So far.
Nudis - but I only read peppermints eat them recently.

I would add a fish, however I don’t want to disrupt the balance.

THE PLAN
Keep adding peppermints about 3-5 every other week until I see them working. Adding to sump and overflows too. I have 4 so far in an 80g system. *worse case I have a wicked clean up crew.

I may add a fish but I would qt it in a tank with tons of aiptasia in it. And I would start with a file fish as they are the heartiest of them all.

OP
OP
jblasi

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4D483897-8225-42D7-9272-3931327393F0.jpeg

This little guys has been super fun to watch the last few days. But he still seems very passive towards the aiptasia.

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will start this off with I have probably read every single aiptasia thread I could find on here. All with the same similar solutions which all have had some matters of failure or success. I have delt with this problem before in older tanks but never to this extent this fast.
I have an SPS dominant tank that it thriving very well and recently in the last few months developed a small aiptasia problem. Started with methods I have used in the past that seemed to work. First it was Aiptasia-X, then I purchased 4 peppermints. The problem started moving into the sump where they were much more difficult to attack. I have tried bergiah’s but they have all seems to have disappeared in the rock and no visible signs of progress. They have only been in the tank a week so maybe I am not being patient enough. However, I lifted up the cover on my overflow this morning and it looks like a shag carpet:mad:. They are becoming out of control very fast! this is where I am pretty much begging for input from my fellow reefers.

I have considered file fish or Copperbands, but I have seen so much back and forth on where they are safe and the last thing I want is for them to be picking at all my acros. I am trying to not think of that last resort we all know of as the “B” word. If I was to pull the sump, drain it and physically clean the whole thing, do you think it would mess with the bio load of the tank?
Any input is greatly appreciated, I feel like I have tried almost every option out there.

Mate, I feel you. I am afraid I have a similar experience over many years now. The only way I have been able to keep this stuff out of my tank for good is to kill it before it can get hold. Once it has started to infest it seems to just re-appear and keep growing, sort of like seeds have been spread through your rockwork even though you cannot see it.

The only option to get rid of it I know works is to replace the rockwork (sorry). Introducing an animal to eat them seems hot and miss except for the nudibranch but you cant get that in my country.

The other option is to live with it and just let the tank go, this is my current state where I have a population of Aiptasia but also a good portion of other corals that do not seem to mind it....seems quite stable for the last two years or so. On a side note, Aiptasia are my daughters favorite thing in the tank....:)

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just be aware sometimes it takes the file fish a while before it starts eating the aiptasia. Took mine close to 4 weeks before he got after it. Once he did though it was an all out feast over the course of a couple days.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back