Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @jblasi

Had to stop by and say hi.

You are about to join a secret club of me and @huttyhawk who love file fish :) .

Seriously though, give him or her a good 3-4 weeks to see results. I have a male and he didn’t touch a single 1 for weeks, then he mowed thru a rock of at least 25 in a few days. Since then he has been a great fish, love his color changing abilities. And great personality.

Just give it time. Sometimes people look for quick fixes. I have used peppermint shrimp and aptasia x over the years with success also. It just takes time and commitment to a plan to make it work. And, there is no 100%, so sometimes you do need a plan B. With the file fish you get a great pet, in my opinion.

huttyhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @jblasi

Had to stop by and say hi.

You are about to join a secret club of me and @huttyhawk who love file fish :) .

Seriously though, give him or her a good 3-4 weeks to see results. I have a male and he didn’t touch a single 1 for weeks, then he mowed thru a rock of at least 25 in a few days. Since then he has been a great fish, love his color changing abilities. And great personality.

Just give it time. Sometimes people look for quick fixes. I have used peppermint shrimp and aptasia x over the years with success also. It just takes time and commitment to a plan to make it work. And, there is no 100%, so sometimes you do need a plan B. With the file fish you get a great pet, in my opinion.

hahaha this post made my day. Agreed, great pet!

I have two file fish, about year and ahalf ago I was about to give up and start a new reef tank because of a really bad Majano problem. There were thounsands and thousands of Majano's and they were starting to overtake my corals.

It took a couple months butthose file fish went to town them. I have ZERO Majano's now! They the smartest and most personable fish I have. love those little guys!

M

member 99594

View Badges
hahaha this post made my day. Agreed, great pet!

I have two file fish, about year and ahalf ago I was about to give up and start a new reef tank because of a really bad Majano problem. There were thounsands and thousands of Majano's and they were starting to overtake my corals.

It took a couple months butthose file fish went to town them. I have ZERO Majano's now! They the smartest and most personable fish I have. love those little guys!

I have the same issue with aiptasia and I feel like they are upsetting some of the corals off so much they may even be releasing toxins into the water. I have gone right back to basics to try and fix this issue.

80gallon system;

Adding Peppermints 3-4 biweekly till I get to about 15 *I think I have noticed some aiptasia missing :) aka EATEN!!
5 gallons WC a week
2 Part Dosing
AcroPower *1/2 the recommended
Carbon (Added this as part of the regular to ensure water was clean during this time)

Did you see some zoas close, coral growth slow and coroline significantly slowdown? if not, do you feel that this is possible?

OP
OP
jblasi

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, had the filefish going on 2 weeks now. Maybe have some aiptasia missing. Not really sure. I did see a bergiah the other night that looks like it has grown. The problem seems to have slowed but of course they are still everywhere.
The manjano wand is doing wonders in the sump and overflow.

M

member 99594

View Badges
well that’s good news. I have put a peppermint in my overflow and he seems to be eating them.

Does anyone know if the peppermint shrimp eat larger and smaller aiptasia? Or just the small ones?

Fallenreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through similar situation before, I have tried lasers, aiptasia X, nudis, and peppermint shrimp. None of it really worked, it only made it worse. But I recently use F aiptasia and it worked for the most part. But be careful, it kills your corals if it touches it. Good luck!

M

member 99594

View Badges
Does anyone know what the difference between aiptasia x and f aiptasia?

OP
OP
jblasi

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through similar situation before, I have tried lasers, aiptasia X, nudis, and peppermint shrimp. None of it really worked, it only made it worse. But I recently use F aiptasia and it worked for the most part. But be careful, it kills your corals if it touches it. Good luck!
I currently have F Aiptasia. It’s works well for the ones that are upright on the rock. But everything else it’s real hard to get it covered.

Fallenreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have F Aiptasia. It’s works well for the ones that are upright on the rock. But everything else it’s real hard to get it covered.
yea I agree that is the one downside of the product. I am not sure how to get the aiptaisa on the bottom of over hangs

OP
OP
jblasi

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright everyone... I know that everyone has recommended filefish it’s a super cool looking little guy.... But I think I may have a dud. It’s been almost a month and he has almost tripled in size. But not from a feast of aiptasia, more like mysis. The DT problem is growing and it just seems to look at them then swim away.

M

member 99594

View Badges
Has anyone tried Heniochus to take care of aiptasia?
Ask Terrance from Neptune about those fish. Don’t do it, if you have corals. Fowlr is fine. But I would not risk it.

my peppermints are definitely doing the job. Make sure you get the right ones though. The first on on this picture.

283B8840-6090-4A89-BBA5-61D4E9AB505F.png

OP
OP
jblasi

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a recent update on the massive aiptasia outbreak. It is slowly being consumed! I feared the worst with my bergiah purchase a month ago. I purchased 8 and never saw them again. Well tonight as I was doing a large water change and sump clean, I came across a massive colony of them! I counted 20 that I could see as well as 4-5 egg spirals.
526C7317-282C-419D-A1A5-0BAC3995D950.jpeg
9C250BA5-5166-4F8F-B3C1-6CAC1B2B4622.jpeg
B9FE6C42-4E09-40F5-B768-9EAED8CFBEDD.jpeg

Just a few pics of some.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back