Aiptasia and Berghia Nudibranch breeding project

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks cool but I would go at least a 40 breeder for the aiptasia tank if you want to sustain any kind of population

If you have 30 cows in a 1200sqft barn you wouldn't dedicate 1200sqft of land to growing feed you'd dedicate dozens of acres

The larger the aiptasia tank the higher chance of success imo

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks cool but I would go at least a 40 breeder for the aiptasia tank if you want to sustain any kind of population

If you have 30 cows in a 1200sqft barn you wouldn't dedicate 1200sqft of land to growing feed you'd dedicate dozens of acres

Absolutely true, for long term you need at least 5X as much Aiptasia volume as Berghia.

Saminpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely true, for long term you need at least 5X as much Aiptasia volume as Berghia.
In my breeding process, i go in the aiptasia tank and cut off the heads with scissors to put in the nudi tank. So i never technically lose any aiptasia, a new head regrows within 10 days. This helps with keeping a big supply of aiptasia, just need to put in the time to harvest the aiptasia for feeding.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my breeding process, i go in the aiptasia tank and cut off the heads with scissors to put in the nudi tank. So i never technically lose any aiptasia, a new head regrows within 10 days. This helps with keeping a big supply of aiptasia, just need to put in the time to harvest the aiptasia for feeding.
Yes I did that at first also, it is more efficient for sure, especially if you feed them well first they are still digesting food and growing even when they don’t have a mouth to eat with. However once you have a few thousand of them it is not practical.

Too bad we can’t cut Berghia in half and grow two new ones!

Saminpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did that at first also, it is more efficient for sure, especially if you feed them well first they are still digesting food and growing even when they don’t have a mouth to eat with. However once you have a few thousand of them it is not practical.

Too bad we can’t cut Berghia in half and grow two new ones!
I’m not sure if im lucky or unlucky that i don’t have a few thousand lol. I move them pretty quickly between local reefers in FB groups and two stores that i supply. I know i definitely have fatalities of course. I call it survival of the fittest. Whichever ones get to the aiptasia i drop in every other day, win the survivor race!!

OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I've found scrubbing the aiptasia with a tooth brush has been the most effective propagation method. There's hundreds of little heads

IMG_0066.jpeg

OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've got another tub on top of my tank that I just started growing in too. Short term I'm just making sure I can sustainably growth both before investing in a larger setup. Longer term I'd look at racking a few 50 gallon lowboys for aiptasia growth
IMG_0067.jpeg

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got another tub on top of my tank that I just started growing in too. Short term I'm just making sure I can sustainably growth both before investing in a larger setup. Longer term I'd look at racking a few 50 gallon lowboys for aiptasia growth
IMG_0067.jpeg
You could do it in thick Tupperware tubs or stock tanks for much cheaper

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow your system is clean. Mine is algae infested, but the aiptasia don't really care.

Tripod1404

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasai grows pretty good on wood, or tree branches in the wild. You can give that a try. It will also makes it easier to transport them across tanks.

I am pretty sure I read somewhere before that in laboratory setting, the propagate aiptasia by putting some in a blenders and then dumping the chopped pieces to a tank.

Alexjones.aj99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome. I’m dealing with a terrible pasta problem myself. I put 8 berghia in almost a month ago and still awaiting results. Hopefully soon. My tank does have a lot of flow though so I wonder if that is an issue.

OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasai grows pretty good on wood, or tree branches in the wild. You can give that a try. It will also makes it easier to transport them across tanks.

I am pretty sure I read somewhere before that in laboratory setting, the propagate aiptasia by putting some in a blenders and then dumping the chopped pieces to a tank.
I think that's kind of what I'm doing with the toothbrush. Scrubbing them until they come off the rock in pieces. I'd try this if I had a spare blender

OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome. I’m dealing with a terrible pasta problem myself. I put 8 berghia in almost a month ago and still awaiting results. Hopefully soon. My tank does have a lot of flow though so I wonder if that is an issue.
I did the same in my DT. They're currently holding the aiptasia at bay but haven't been able to reduce the numbers yet. Part of this breeding project is to add a lot more to the DT

OP
OP
silent1mezzo

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know how fast baby Berghia move? Eggs have been disappearing at the correct time and now I'm starting to see small specs moving around the tnknbut they're moving faster than I would have expected. I'm worried pods somehow got in

StepByStepFishkeeping

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Movement is not really an accurate indicator. If the container is clear, I would examine each side up close while shining a strong flashlight from the side.

Just hatched Berghia is difficult to see unaided. They should look like tiny slugs without any spikes or protrusions from the body. 1 week old Berghia should appear to be 1/32” slug-shape objects with maybe a few cerata spikes. 2 weeks old Berghia should look like mini adults at 1/16”.

The second photo below features both 1/16” and 1/32” juveniles if you look closely.

BDF261D0-9A86-42ED-A216-9B54C87D8EF3.jpeg
A4D46B58-2900-4655-9975-9AC1A8684D16.jpeg

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back