Aiptasia Assassination Alert!

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tonight I saw 3 little aiptasia that needed to go so I mixed up a hefty half teaspoon of kalk powder with about 15 ml of water to make a kalk paste. after killing the first 3 I noticed another... then another... my fiance and kid got involved and became family time. My eyes aren't as good as theirs are so they gave me directions, "forward, down, to the right. Do it do it!"

Anyways, I killed about 15 of em total, LOL. Now I'm wondering to myself if all that kalk will mess my alk up . I killed all flow for 5 minutes before the assassinations and left it off for 30 minutes after. I made another round of kalk paste but only used half of it. so that's about 1 teaspoon total. does it just precipitate out when used like this or am I facing an alk spike?

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tonight I saw 3 little aiptasia that needed to go so I mixed up a hefty half teaspoon of kalk powder with about 15 ml of water to make a kalk paste. after killing the first 3 I noticed another... then another... my fiance and kid got involved and became family time. My eyes aren't as good as theirs are so they gave me directions, "forward, down, to the right. Do it do it!"

Anyways, I killed about 15 of em total, LOL. Now I'm wondering to myself if all that kalk will mess my alk up . I killed all flow for 5 minutes before the assassinations and left it off for 30 minutes after. I made another round of kalk paste but only used half of it. so that's about 1 teaspoon total. does it just precipitate out when used like this or am I facing an alk spike?

Oh mah GAWD!
IMG_2300.JPG

How did you apply the paste? Syringe? Fingertips? A dead rat?

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way! Lol. I filled it 4 times though. Some were hard to get to and I would squirt until i nailed em. Prosit around 1 response of kalk powder total. It was like I killed one and then we spotted 2 more! I found one in the underside of a power head I am suspecting little glad anemones were getting lend throughout my tank.

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha oh yes. My eyes were at a half gaze as I looked over the tank. Waiting for the next of tthe enemies to surface. There is one! Load the syringe I'm going in. As I approach in a stealth like mode. Things slow down. I bring the tip of the syringe by the aiptasia mouth. I depress the syringe slowly and with intent. The enemy eats and dies.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds good!

Another thing to watch is the pH spike. A 1.4 dKH alk boost will boost pH more than 0.6 pH units.

Happy Reefing. :)

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 10 minutes too short for the kalk paste to do it's thing? I put the pumps into feed mode when killing Aptasia. Should I leave them off longer?

Rutrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 10 minutes too short for the kalk paste to do it's thing? I put the pumps into feed mode when killing Aptasia. Should I leave them off longer?

IME, kalk paste seems to work pretty quickly. I've used the same method minus turning the pumps off, so I've got to believe 10 minutes is plenty.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 76 53.1%
  • NO

Votes: 44 30.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back