Aiptasia Assassination Alert!

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2015
Messages
2,626
Reaction score
2,179
Location
Lubbock, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tonight I saw 3 little aiptasia that needed to go so I mixed up a hefty half teaspoon of kalk powder with about 15 ml of water to make a kalk paste. after killing the first 3 I noticed another... then another... my fiance and kid got involved and became family time. My eyes aren't as good as theirs are so they gave me directions, "forward, down, to the right. Do it do it!"

Anyways, I killed about 15 of em total, LOL. Now I'm wondering to myself if all that kalk will mess my alk up . I killed all flow for 5 minutes before the assassinations and left it off for 30 minutes after. I made another round of kalk paste but only used half of it. so that's about 1 teaspoon total. does it just precipitate out when used like this or am I facing an alk spike?
 
tonight I saw 3 little aiptasia that needed to go so I mixed up a hefty half teaspoon of kalk powder with about 15 ml of water to make a kalk paste. after killing the first 3 I noticed another... then another... my fiance and kid got involved and became family time. My eyes aren't as good as theirs are so they gave me directions, "forward, down, to the right. Do it do it!"

Anyways, I killed about 15 of em total, LOL. Now I'm wondering to myself if all that kalk will mess my alk up . I killed all flow for 5 minutes before the assassinations and left it off for 30 minutes after. I made another round of kalk paste but only used half of it. so that's about 1 teaspoon total. does it just precipitate out when used like this or am I facing an alk spike?

Oh mah GAWD!
IMG_2300.JPG

How did you apply the paste? Syringe? Fingertips? A dead rat?
 
No way! Lol. I filled it 4 times though. Some were hard to get to and I would squirt until i nailed em. Prosit around 1 response of kalk powder total. It was like I killed one and then we spotted 2 more! I found one in the underside of a power head I am suspecting little glad anemones were getting lend throughout my tank.
 
Hahaha oh yes. My eyes were at a half gaze as I looked over the tank. Waiting for the next of tthe enemies to surface. There is one! Load the syringe I'm going in. As I approach in a stealth like mode. Things slow down. I bring the tip of the syringe by the aiptasia mouth. I depress the syringe slowly and with intent. The enemy eats and dies.
 
tonight I saw 3 little aiptasia that needed to go so I mixed up a hefty half teaspoon of kalk powder with about 15 ml of water to make a kalk paste. after killing the first 3 I noticed another... then another... my fiance and kid got involved and became family time. My eyes aren't as good as theirs are so they gave me directions, "forward, down, to the right. Do it do it!"

Anyways, I killed about 15 of em total, LOL. Now I'm wondering to myself if all that kalk will mess my alk up . I killed all flow for 5 minutes before the assassinations and left it off for 30 minutes after. I made another round of kalk paste but only used half of it. so that's about 1 teaspoon total. does it just precipitate out when used like this or am I facing an alk spike?

Sounds good!

Another thing to watch is the pH spike. A 1.4 dKH alk boost will boost pH more than 0.6 pH units.

Happy Reefing. :)
 
Is 10 minutes too short for the kalk paste to do it's thing? I put the pumps into feed mode when killing Aptasia. Should I leave them off longer?
 
Is 10 minutes too short for the kalk paste to do it's thing? I put the pumps into feed mode when killing Aptasia. Should I leave them off longer?

IME, kalk paste seems to work pretty quickly. I've used the same method minus turning the pumps off, so I've got to believe 10 minutes is plenty.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new