Aiptasia! But How?

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seriously at a loss here. I looked in my tank today and saw a 1/2" Aiptasia along with what looks like 1 or 2 more starting out. I have not added anything whatsoever to my tank in at least 4 years. 4 years ago I had a few Aiptasia but a couple peppermints took care of them. Since that time I swear nothing at all has been added. The peppermints all died over 2 years ago. The only thing I can think of is about a month ago I got some Omega freeze dried brine shrimp cubes. Is it possible for Aiptasia to survive coming in on that? This tank only has 2 clown fish and maybe 4 or 5 Nessarious snails.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you had aiptasia before, most likely they never FULLY went away and hid somewhere in your system, like the plumbing or overflow etc and then over time managed to reproduce and now you see them again.
There’s no way at all that it came in on foods. Zero.

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you had aiptasia before, most likely they never FULLY went away and hid somewhere in your system, like the plumbing or overflow etc and then over time managed to reproduce and now you see them again.

It has literally been 4 years since I have seen hide nor hair of an Aiptasia. How could they hide? I also do not use the light at all in my tank, never. I realize they can probably survive with just ambient light. I feed the 2 clowns once every 2-3 days and that is all that ever goes in the tank. Literally for 4 years. I haven't even done a water change in 4 years, not a drop. Yes, I will get a handful of peppermints and hopefully they are as effective a last time. They ate all visible Aiptasia within a week and I had quite a few of them. I would just really like to understand where they came from.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t matter that it’s been 4 years. That’s plenty of time for some to grow and reproduce.
They also don’t need light at all, they can live in total darkness inside piping.
They came from the old aiptasia.
If you’ve literally never added anything then it literally couldn’t come from anywhere else.

IMO peppermints are just a band aid, as evidenced here.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
+1 which is why I lean towards Berghia For Aiptasia

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Like roaches, there’s always one that sneaks through the cracks.
Like i do- get yourself a kleini butterfly. You’ll never see one again

JayLu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also thought I was finally aiptasia free, until they started showing up in my sump. Turns out, they we’re hiding in my overflow.

Spartyparty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m tellin ya I had a great experience with berghia nudibranchs. Was skeptical as everyone is but I spent the money on (4) 1/4” in my 90 gallon. 2 months and completely eradicated! Moderate infestation. I had at least 2 aiptasia that the oral disk was the size of a quarter. My experience but will definitely try them again if the need arise.

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may try the Berghia or perhaps the Kleini Butterfly. I wasn't aware this type of Butterfly also ate Aiptasia. I'll get another batch of Peppermints as well. I had a Copperband in there that was doing really well but it managed to wedge itself into my rock and die one night. :(

Is it possible that extra feeding made the Aiptasia feel like multiplying? I have been putting more food in since I have been adding the brine shrimp cubes.

Thanks all!

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is very possible that the extra feeding has allowed the aiptasia to start growing and reproducing. I agree with the others. You were likely never able to entirely get rid of it, you just got rid of the visible parts. Aiptasia is like the plague. It can be dormant for quite some time, but give it some food and they start multiplying and take over in next to no time at all.
Whatever route you choose to go, do it fast. I ignored a couple of babies as the emerged and now I have a full blown outbreak again.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may try the Berghia or perhaps the Kleini Butterfly. I wasn't aware this type of Butterfly also ate Aiptasia. I'll get another batch of Peppermints as well. I had a Copperband in there that was doing really well but it managed to wedge itself into my rock and die one night. :(

Is it possible that extra feeding made the Aiptasia feel like multiplying? I have been putting more food in since I have been adding the brine shrimp cubes.

Thanks all!
100%
Heavy feedings, especially of small particulate foods like reef foods etc are the perfect food for things like aiptasia and vermitid snails to go crazy and reproduce.

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up 5 peppermints last night from my LFS. Friggin' $9 each! This morning all seem healthy and active but still got the Aiptasia on the side. I am cutting back feeding a LOT so we'll see if they eat them when they are hungry. Fingers crossed!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For $30, you should have gotten Kleini butterfly which eats them like candy, peaceful, eats all dry and frozen foods and a pretty fish

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For $30, you should have gotten Kleini butterfly which eats them like candy, peaceful, eats all dry and frozen foods and a pretty fish

I did check those out at Live Aquaria but I am not sure what direction I am going with the tank. It could possibly be turned into a dedicated Sea Horse tank.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another clear example of spontaneous generation by pest organisms. It’s the reason why pests are so difficult to avoid.

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to close the loop on this the 5 Peppermints are doing very well in the tank all are thriving one even molted already. They "took care of" (in a Clintonesque way) all the visible Aiptasia which is great! I do have 2 "masses" (quarter sized) growing on the side of the tank I've seen this before in other tanks but not sure what it is. Seems like just some biomass without any form. I also reduced the feeding by a lot and the algae is also starting to recede. I'll think twice before adding any "treats" in the future.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back