aiptasia CBB or File fish

dvega101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m aware of the many options to remove aiptasia. I’m looking to see of the two fish listed in the topic which one members have had more success for aiptasia removal.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had both , ccb didn't touch them and died a week later - filefish ate them , but also ate my zoa.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME once either of them 'got the taste' for frozen foods neither consumed glass anemone any longer. Knock on wood I've not had Aiptasia for ~10 years.

I did find the CBB I had from Australia did very well in the aquaria setting and on the flip side, I noticed a GSM had a small hole in her side one morning. I promptly put her in a hospital tank kind of scratching my head.

Then a day or so later I witnessed the Aiptasia eating filefish take a bit out of the GSM male. I quickly donated that fish. Both maroons did recover. But wow. In the hobby long enough I guess we can see some pretty strange things.

Not trying to discourage you dvega101. Simply relating my experience with both you inquired on.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the cousin of the CBB....a long nose yellow butterfly.....that up until he died, I didn't even know I had aiptasia in the tank. Now my tank it totally filled with the little buggers and I'm looking to pick up another long nose.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dvega101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME once either of them 'got the taste' for frozen foods neither consumed glass anemone any longer. Knock on wood I've not had Aiptasia for ~10 years.

I did find the CBB I had from Australia did very well in the aquaria setting and on the flip side, I noticed a GSM had a small hole in her side one morning. I promptly put her in a hospital tank kind of scratching my head.

Then a day or so later I witnessed the Aiptasia eating filefish take a bit out of the GSM male. I quickly donated that fish. Both maroons did recover. But wow. In the hobby long enough I guess we can see some pretty strange things.

Not trying to discourage you dvega101. Simply relating my experience with both you inquired on.

That’s exactly what I’m looking for. Member’s experience is all I can draw from as there are no set rules on what works every time.

dwolson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad aiptasia outbreak. I have a filefish but it never touched the aiptasia. What worked was 4 large peppermint shrimp.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia nudibranchs will eat the aiptasia guaranteed
Either fish will be hit or miss or might go rouge and start chowing on the coral. Lucky my CBB never touches the coral and unlucky the same for Aptasia. Put Berghia in my tank about 3 months ago and the Aptasia are just about gone.

skiwez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had both at the same time...but couldn'r tell for sure. I like the fact that both are unusual fish. Unfortunately lost the file fish to my mp40

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had about 20 visible aiptasia, who knows how many not visible. I added an orange spotted filefish 2 days ago and today I can only find 3 visible. His stomach is about to burst! Lol!! They sure are efficient!
IMG_20180728_172325.jpeg

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my CBB and File fish ate aiptasia. Unfortunately the file fish got a taste for my Duncan...so now he is my sump monster. My CBB is a model citizen.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back