OP
OP
T

TeeJay87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a bit of Green hair algae expolsion here. After you have reduced or rid the tank of aptasia,
Then reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
What is your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?
Yes big GHA problem; been manually working on it for a 1.5 months and it used to look a lot worse, which is hard to believe.

My original CUC snails dwindled and I left these phosphate remover pads that came with my Fluval 407 canister filter in the fluval for almost a year. I‘m guessing they had been leaching phosphate back into the tank for a long time and GHA has gotten out of control. So I now have some Trochus & Turbo snails, a tuxedo urchin, a foxface, and a lawnmower blenny in quarantine to help me battle algae (fish are in separate QTs from the inverts).

Yes, using RODI, but need to get new filters as they are aging.

Phosphates read near zero, but using the API test, whose first color change above 0.00 is 0.25 (i.e. not very specific). Nitrates are ~ 5. Clearly there are phosphates in my tank, I think I’m one of those tanks whose phosphates immediately get take up by the growth of new algae.

Tank near a window? Affirmative!

It would be nice if my rock looked this again (Jan 2022)

1673284193454.jpeg

And also the Macro algae was quite nice compared to the GHA (May 2022)

1673284443826.jpeg

Attachments

• B7E7A5AC-D3FA-4448-800E-24E0121FAA34.jpeg
    B7E7A5AC-D3FA-4448-800E-24E0121FAA34.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 19

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes big GHA problem; been manually working on it for a 1.5 months and it used to look a lot worse, which is hard to believe.

My original CUC snails dwindled and I left these phosphate remover pads that came with my Fluval 407 canister filter in the fluval for almost a year. I‘m guessing they had been leaching phosphate back into the tank for a long time and GHA has gotten out of control. So I now have some Trochus & Turbo snails, a tuxedo urchin, a foxface, and a lawnmower blenny in quarantine to help me battle algae (fish are in separate QTs from the inverts).

Yes, using RODI, but need to get new filters as they are aging.

Phosphates read near zero, but using the API test, whose first color change above 0.00 is 0.25 (i.e. not very specific). Nitrates are ~ 5. Clearly there are phosphates in my tank, I think I’m one of those tanks whose phosphates immediately get take up by the growth of new algae.

Tank near a window? Affirmative!

It would be nice if my rock looked this again (Jan 2022)

1673284193454.jpeg

And also the Macro algae was quite nice compared to the GHA (May 2022)

1673284443826.jpeg
this looks good. If you are using canister as a primary mechanical unit, you will have a level of Phos and nitrate and just a matter of keeping up with unit.
Nice macroalgaes

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey TeeJay87. Before you do anything for aiptasia try this method. inject micro-bubbles into you tank at night time, micro-bubbles from my skimmer has been bypassing my sponge filter in the sump and getting into the display. I was not able to fix it for 6 months and noticed my aiptasia slowly dwindling away and not spreading like usual. I have tried everything and they just multiply for 2-3 years, I do have a file fish that helps but he can't get them all. I will leave my skimmer for now, I only run it when lights are off. Helps to polish the water also.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back