Aiptasia confirmation

shaojinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I found what i believe to be aiptasia on some new live rock.

I have never seen aiptasia in the flesh before so wanted to share pictures just for a confirmation from you guys.

First picture is before I disturb it. Also tried disturbing it and it curls up, as seen in second and third picture.

Thanks in advance

IMG-3517.jpg

IMG-3523.jpg

IMG-3522.jpg

View Badges
It actually doesn’t look like it to me, but it could just be the photo or the time. It just looks so round, almost like a lone, large paly.

wait for someone else though, I’m like the least knowledgeable person here I’m sure.

OP
OP
S

shaojinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys. based on pictures i feel like there is a clear resemblence to aptasia but i couldnt tell for sure (mine currently has a bit shorter arms than most pictures ive found, maybe due to the small size of the polyp?). Do aiptasia curl up like that when touched?

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience they behave like a feather duster. Mine were on a small rock/frag. I removed it.

OP
OP
S

shaojinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live rock was imported by my lfs from indonesia. Cant blaim them. Might just break the rock and toss it i think. Thanks for the reply

View Badges
thanks guys. based on pictures i feel like there is a clear resemblence to aptasia but i couldnt tell for sure (mine currently has a bit shorter arms than most pictures ive found, maybe due to the small size of the polyp?). Do aiptasia curl up like that when touched?
Not like a coral, IME they completely disappear. Mine have also looked more like an open diamond or pod, not so circular.

it’s pretty. I’m gunna start an ULM aptasia tank.

ProvidenceTidalReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see one then you have more.
If your tank isnt old I'd start getting ready to break down

Buy some buckets to put rock In with pumps. No Heater required but wouldn't hurt.
Then add a heap of (live rock enhance)
Them cover the buckets. Changing out water every week adding more live rock enhance to help leaching of rock, detritus and what not.
I'd even set up a bucket of peroxide and soak the rocks for about 2 hours and then transfer back to buckets helps kill any algae that the darkness isnt killing.

I'd set up 2 quarantine tanks. Place all your coral in first quarantine tank. (Preferably 30 days beforehand so you can cycle your quarantine tanks)
Its important to have 2 not just one.

Once you have managed all the aptasia by observing and treating quarantine tank 1.

Buy a few new frag plugs, frag any corals that can be and place them on brand new plugs.
You should bleach or peroxide then rinse any new plugs to prevent algae growth.

Place the newly fragged corals in your second quarantine tank. Allow them to grow for a few months. On the new plugs and carefully observe them to make sure 100% they have not even a pineapple sponge.

They will have to stay in this tank for almost 1 year (reason below) v

Then while your corals are healing and being treated.
Set up your main display. After making sure you have bleached everything and have properly rinsed it clean.
I would avoid using pumps that were inside tank before you had to take it down.

Then after 6-8 months of your tank getting back into maturity.
Then start adding coral back from the second observation quarantine.
As long as you have seen no signs of aptasia.
Then you should have beaten it. And as long as you quarantine your corals from now on you should be set up to irridicate almost any pest that comes your way.

I used to remove them by the dozens. Then they would just come back. So I had to learn the hard way to take the drastic road.

But this allows you to form a clear path to success

Just tossing the part of the rock had little effect. It did provide a temporary fix to an longer problem ahead.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back