Aiptasia control in a mantis tank

Andrew D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone do to control aiptasia in your mantis tank when your usual predators (peppermints, copperbands, berghia) likely won't survive? They are so thick in my 30G it looks like a carpet. I have a 3 inch peacock which may also be a chiragra.

OP
OP
Andrew D

Andrew D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but I was thinking of something where I didn't have to put my hand into the tank :). Also, I've used this stuff before and found that while it killed the one you squirted it ended up spawning a lot more. Not sure if they've changed the formula at all since then.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can You get the rock out? surely there is something to soak the rock in. Maybe fresh water even. super saturated lime water ? You have an interesting issue for sure.

OP
OP
Andrew D

Andrew D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can You get the rock out? surely there is something to soak the rock in. Maybe fresh water even. super saturated lime water ? You have an interesting issue for sure.

He's actually made a home of the rock, so I'd hate to nuke it. They're also growing all over the glass and gravel. The tank is plumbed into a 700G system with a lot of fish and I have a lot of nutrients but i have natural predators in all of my other tanks just not this one because of the mantis. I'd post a picture but I've not found a suitable alternative to photobucket yet.

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got corals in the tank as well?
If NOT then a Kleins Butterfly is PERFECT! (Depending the species of mantis shrimp in the tank LOL)

I use to cycle 1 Kleins between my many many tanks way back when I first started I literally dubbed it "The Aptasia Assassin" the only tanks I could not put the butterfly fish in were tanks holding obviously dangerous to itself mantis shrimp (Giant Spearers/Giant Smashers) I'm not going to lie....it was 1 of 2 fish that basically left my care and went to great homes (that and a Lawnmower Blenny) each earned their lives many times over and I couldn't "put them to the spear" so to speak....

Just noticed the species you mentioned (pics for I.D. ? :D), I'd do it now(get the butterfly fish) while you can (if it is a peacock and if you do NOT have corals).

OP
OP
Andrew D

Andrew D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much, that's very helpful. My mantis is a smasher and only about 3 inches in length so this will probably work for a while. I have no corals in the tank.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back