Aiptasia "Eating..." Filefish - Don't do it!

Brooklands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to let everyone know my story based on first-hand experience and from what've I've heard from other reefers. Please comment if you want.

I had a fairly nice (see image) 80 gallon reef that I started 3 years ago. Everything was doing well, but I had a proliferation of aiptasia, probably several hundred or so, that were bothersome to the shorter corals and stalks of some corals. I only had one fish, a blue damsel, so I decided to get a small aiptasia eating filefish. His name was Henry.

Upon acclimation to the tank he did very well. He mostly hung out where the pods were in the back, spending numerous hours eating my live pods and mysis. Which was ok because I had thousands. Never saw him eat an aiptasia, ever. A few months in I noticed that overnight all of the aiptasia were gone one day - never saw him eat one, ever. I did however notice him eating my hammer and acans. The tank was starting to look tired at this point already and I had a feeling for a few weeks that something was off but my parameters were perfect. An important thing to note is that I have a 20 gallon sump on this tank and all, ALL, of the aiptasia also disappeared from the sump. I thought that was interesting.

I thought my first step should be to revert back to where I was and take the filefish back to the store. I did this. Over the next few months however, the damsel and every lps and sps in the tank slowly perished, along with all of the kenya trees and sinularia. Parameters were checked weekly at three different sources, all said my water was habitable.... everything continued to die.

Finally I broke down the tank and started over with my sand and rock scrubbed clean. I also had my RO and tank water tested via gas chromatography mass spectrometry - there were no none pollutants, only minerals that I used to supplement the corals. Keep in mind that the water was tested down to the parts per billion. Even some of the different types of algae I had died. Like the hard corkscrew algae.

Fast forward a few months, leathers are now growing again, but I still cannot keep a pod, a hard coral, or a fish alive in the tank. I've tried 5 different species of fish, all perish in 2 days like clockwork. Water is continually being tested and is within near perfect parameters.

Also, I'm using RO water and I do a 5 percent water change weekly.

It is my honest opinion that file fish do eat aiptasia but also, because of their habit of eating toxic polyps and anemone, they release a toxin into the water from their gut that will leach into your rock and sandbed having a potentially lasting affect on your tank. It may be that this toxin kills some of the aiptasia... Obviously not every filefish has the same diet, but it's not worth the risk. (Oh and I even replaced all of the equipment, because I didn't want to take the chance of a small amount of electricity leaking from a fixture being the culprit, but that had no affect.) Everything you see below, which is a pic of the left side of the tank, died.

Capture.JPG

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My file fish was iffy, worked in the 1st tank, not so much in the 2nd
But more zoas/softies in 2nd, and better fed.

cthedaytrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My filefish was awesome at killing aiptasia, problem was he also ate every zoa, favia, acan and maybe chalice. Couldn’t keep any zoas or lps with him. Never harmed other fish or sps. Not sure about the toxicity of the fish. I do know some leathers especially sinularia can be toxic, especially to sps. Not sure about them killing fish. You could try running carbon if you aren’t already.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was finding 3 or 4 new aiptasia per week, so I added a filefish. I haven't seen a single aiptasia since. And it's been probably 5 months.

However, once they were all gone he also ate all my rock flower nems. But he hasn't bothered anything else.

My long spine urchin is a different story...

reefer65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was finding 3 or 4 new aiptasia per week, so I added a filefish. I haven't seen a single aiptasia since. And it's been probably 5 months.

However, once they were all gone he also ate all my rock flower nems. But he hasn't bothered anything else.

My long spine urchin is a different story...
Something is eating my euphyllia in the tank. There are large chunks out of the skeleton. It has to be either my long spin urchin or the file fish. I have actually seen the file fish eating my zoas. Of course I can’t catch him either.

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: Don’t know how I ended up on such an old post, sorry for the random replies years later! Disregard haha.

Since your leathers are pretty much the only thing doing well, and you can’t keep hard corals alive, Id sooner say the filefish stressed out the leather coral and caused this.

I would run fresh activated carbon and change it out every 3-5 days (depending on absorbency lifespan of the brand), and do some large 50% waterchanges if possible.

Many species of Sinularia are known to release toxins, that most commonly kill hard corals, but I can imagine it would take out fish too if it released enough of it. The system also receives only small waterchanges, and I’m unsure if you run carbon normally.

If it was the filefish releasing toxins from eating aiptasia, this would be a very common issue with these fish, but I have never heard of this happening from adding filefish before.

I experienced something similar in a 100gal system however (80 in displays and 20 in sump), but it was from a pufferfish eating all of the polyps off of a large cabbage leather and my hard corals, anemones, and many of my softies were stressed out and dying randomly within 12hrs. Fish seemed unaffected for the most part, but a few were stressed out and I couldn’t figure out why at the time.

I ran carbon and did a few 50% WC, removed the puffer, and within a few days everything began to recover and I had no loss of fish, just hard corals, and my anemones seemed stunted after. They didn’t grow or split much compared to how they used to until I moved them to a separate system for a few months. I’ve also stocked many aiptasia eating filefish into this system over time, and only the puffer eating the leathers caused any problems.

Another key point is if it was toxins from the aiptasia, the other aiptasia should have been immune to some degree to it, and the leathers should have perished instead with the other softies and hard corals that you lost. I don’t think it was the filefish who released the toxin, but most likely what caused it.

Also, when leathers get all their polyps eaten they just look stressed and retracted, so it can be hard to tell if you didn’t witness the munching. I didnt realize that was the cause until i noticed it had 1 or 2 surviving polyps open, and it was simply missing the rest but no other visible damage.

Last edited:

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would also make sense for the filefish to be unaffected/less effected by the toxins released, as they’re evolved to eat toxic corals like that and be in the area while its releasing it, much like many puffer species and anything else that loves to eat soft corals/nems.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. My filefish ate no aptasia for months. Then over the course of a week or two he ate hundreds. Then he ate my zoas, any kind of torch or hammer also. He passed for unknown reasons and while I did like him I wouldn’t get one again.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a few different kinds of filefish over the last 30 years and they do love to eat corals, Aiptasia not so much. They sure are cool looking fish, just not reef friendly in my experience.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 11.1%
Back