Aiptasia Eating Filefish in Refugium - Display Refugium???

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, was thinking of ideas for a refugium (I absolutely adore the natural filtration aspect of it), and I drafted a makeshift idea. My “blueprint” is below

4976b0911a996ae450af0317b989c3e8.jpg

I want to make note that all of the fish/inverts in the refugium have a purpose. Their purposes are listed below:

Aiptasia Eating Filefish - As the name implies, to eat Aiptasia both in the display and sump. They well live in the refugium, but will be “recruited” into the display if there’s an Aiptasia problem. Peppermint shrimp wouldn’t work due to my lionfish and trigger. Berghia nudibranchs on my 180 would be very costly, and would starve after their food has been depleted.

Chaetomorpha - Primary source for nutrient reduction. Haven for pods to reside in.

Assorted Macroalgae - Mainly decorative.

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp - Mainly because I cannot house it in my main tank due to my niger trigger and my two lionfish, and I adore shrimp. A bonus if it can clean the sump.

Turbo Snail - For nuisance algae control

Cerith Snails - For nuisance algae and detritus control

I also may add some deepwater NPS gorgonians, sponges, and corals.

One thing I’m also concerned about is them eating the copepods and amphipods in the refugium, something I do not desire. Perhaps I can make a separate compartment for chaeto like in the blueprint?

OP
OP
AbnormalReefer

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention - I also have a protein skimmer down there. HOB because I want the main nutrient export to be the refugium.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a fun project to me ... so long as you make sure that your residents can't get into the neighborhood of your return's intake!

~Bruce

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 55 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 39 20.7%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 65 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back