Aiptasia going to be the end of me

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 4 months old. lPS dominant tank. I have aiptasia going on killing me. I cant even keep up with F aiptasia. I have a red like wrass. Trried to pur a nudi in the display, and he immediately picked on it, ate it. Any idea how to control the aiptasia? Im tired of F aiptasia. I see them pop up here and there every few weeks. What to try here?

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried a filefish? You can beat it with diligent murder, it just takes a long time.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use syringe and kalk paste. I’ve seen people burning them with high powered laser pointers but I’ve never tried that myself

Starbuxxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bunch of aiptasia from previously owned live rock. File fish and peppermint shrimp seem to have taken care of it. I haven't seen any in months. Before that, months without a sighting as well. They take care of them pretty quickly.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FIle fish can eat corals, they don't have to. The small CB ones from ORA, and the like, seem to be pretty safe.

Real peppermints get the job done for me. I order them directly from the Keys to make sure that they are the right ones. Not all peppermint shrimp are as good as the ones from the Keys, so order them yourself to make sure.

Starbuxxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FIle fish can eat corals, they don't have to. The small CB ones from ORA, and the like, seem to be pretty safe.

Real peppermints get the job done for me. I order them directly from the Keys to make sure that they are the right ones. Not all peppermint shrimp are as good as the ones from the Keys, so order them yourself to make sure.
I've never seen my file fish eat coral. Lucky me, I haven't noticed any damaged coral. The main thing you want to focus on is introducing livestock that will manage your problems instead of treatments. You'll save time and headaches.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen my file fish eat coral. Lucky me, I haven't noticed any damaged coral. The main thing you want to focus on is introducing livestock that will manage your problems instead of treatments. You'll save time and headaches.
I would say the main thing is to qt and not let pest like aTipsia into the system to begin with. File fish eat some coral so why trade one headache for another. Easy to treat in qt with kalk paste or lemon juice or many other known ways

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you do this? I have coral QT where I have corals for 3+ months for observations and dipping and aiptasia have gotten in. The same with hair algae, bryopsis, bubble, etc. IMO, it is a pipe dream and those who think that they are living it have just not been doing it long enough. Pests are going to get in.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found chemical eradication methods only make them worse. Additionally it's futile trying to navigate a syringe around a 150g tank. Predation is the way. Berghia have worked well for me, maybe get rid of the wrasse if he has expensive taste.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With peppermints, you sometimes have to kill the big ones with kalk, or the like. They just won't try and tackle a large one if it can harm them.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you do this? I have coral QT where I have corals for 3+ months for observations and dipping and aiptasia have gotten in. The same with hair algae, bryopsis, bubble, etc. IMO, it is a pipe dream and those who think that they are living it have just not been doing it long enough. Pests are going to get in.
well for one I cook any used rock I buy so it’s never gonna bring in aTipsia. I also have several qt tank. Rock can bring all kinds of nasties into a healthy system. Most my rocks are 20-30 years old so I don’t really add much rock these days. But please how hard is it to pull a rock and put some kalk on it.and kill aTipsia . algae Is always present and even bringing hitchhikers of algae a health tank won’t have a sudden algae attack if a little come in. Of course if you let the ATipsia multiply to epic proportions that’s a whole different problem.

I also suggested kalk past and laser pointer options. As many already have already suggested the known aTipsia eater fish names already. Better to have more info than not enough.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. So this.

To the OP, there are several methods and recent threads about attempts @ aiptasia eradication. I went with biological on both tanks. Filefish in one, butterfly fish in the other. Couldnt do berghia or real peppermint shrimp as I have some largish, aggressive wrasses & (had) hawkfishe(s).

Chemical eradication is the worse one imho, just spreads the spores when you attempt to smother the disc.

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermints from ORA. Nothing else for me worked, nothing ( never got the filefish because of my clam and lps)

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. So this.

To the OP, there are several methods and recent threads about attempts @ aiptasia eradication. I went with biological on both tanks. Filefish in one, butterfly fish in the other. Couldnt do berghia or real peppermint shrimp as I have some largish, aggressive wrasses & (had) hawkfishe(s).

Chemical eradication is the worse one imho, just spreads the spores when you attempt to smother the disc.
my friend filefish turned to his acans and all his LPS i don't know what happened

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back