Aiptasia going to be the end of me

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a majano wand, it just spreads it in the end.

I also tried the laser, same effect.
That sucks. I've tried hot water which can sort of work. You just have to get it hot enough and keep it that way long enough. There were a few I ground up with tweezers. So far I havent seen new ones. I dont think anyone ever fully gets rid of them. You just have to kill them when you see them.

I was hopeful for the wand. :(

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also given up. kalk paste and aipatasia x, just couldn't keep up. I got a file fish last week and adding a klein next weekend. We'll see how that goes (in a 90g).

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also given up. kalk paste and aipatasia x, just couldn't keep up. I got a file fish last week and adding a klein next weekend. We'll see how that goes (in a 90g).
I’ve used peppermints with success good luck. you can beat this pestit’s just super annoying.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try the peppermints that algaebarn sells as I believe it is the right species.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FIle fish can eat corals, they don't have to. The small CB ones from ORA, and the like, seem to be pretty safe.

Real peppermints get the job done for me. I order them directly from the Keys to make sure that they are the right ones. Not all peppermint shrimp are as good as the ones from the Keys, so order them yourself to make sure.
Is there a website? You‘ve mentioned the Keys before.

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank raised real peppermints from algae barn.

I bought 6 for my 130g tank. Killed all the big aptasia with kalk paste. Over the next 3 months the rest slowly disappeared.

The shrimp are huge now. I feed the tank well they’ve never bother any other corals for the 9 months I’ve had them.

I was at my wits end after trying a dozen different solutions. Peppermints worked wonders. Just make sure you get tank raised true peppermints.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermints only live like 3 years, so you have to have a rotation and replacement plan. :(

If you kalk them, turn off all of the pumps and let them catch a drop of the kalk paste. Then, they will shrivel up and then you can blast them with more. I have heard that this keeps them from dropping evil spawn as much.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia X did in the end, work for me on 200g but I did not use that little syringe they supplied.

I used a 10ml syringe attached to 1/8” clear ridge airline tubing to make it easier to access them AND, was not shy in the dose. Each session weekly, I left no flow for 1 hour.

Took six months with weekly application and a big bottle of Aptasia X, but got them.

Happy now.

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three peppermint shrimp and they largely keep them in check. Occasionally, I will still find a large one that slipped through the cracks. When I do, I pull the rock and manually eradicate the anemone by scrapping it off with a sharp tool (usually a screwdriver) then I rinse the rock and return to the tank.

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimps will work. Be sure to get the right kind.

Attachments

• shrimp.PNG
    shrimp.PNG
    366.2 KB · Views: 56

MugenReef95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Majano wand works for me Forsure you kill a little bit at a time and go back and be consistent and once you have it under control just catch the ones that try to regrow and get them with wand again.

swampcruiser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia Nudi's were the ticket for me. They stay pretty well hidden- I was afraid they would be expensive wrasse food but they hung in there.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that natural predation is the only solution long term. Even if you manage to get rid of all that you can see now, more will likely come along. My solution was a Copperband. I have several aiptasia in my sump and the overflows are full of them yet I haven't seen one in my tank for months.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Copperband butterfly ate them clean from the tanks I have had him in. Not certain he didn't eat other things. Same with my Kleine's Butterfly.

Shrimps, filefish, have been hit an miss. When they hit, the Aiptasia disappear rapidly.

My most recent infestation was immune to injections. I shot them with lemon juice, F-Aiptasia, and straight muriatic acid, let them soak in fresh water and they would come back in 3-5 weeks, many times treated! Love my Kleine's!:cool:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back