Aiptasia help...

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a piece of live rock from the LFS with some coral on it but now I see there’s a nice big Aiptasia stem on it. How do I treat or any easy fixes?

image.jpg

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can pull the rock out then scrape the aptasia off and do your best to get it all don’t leave any behind. As soon as you start to scrape it I find they retract very quickly. So be precise. Then get a bucket with some tank water and rinse it off well so you are sure it’s all off the rock. That will be your best bet for treating just one specimen. IMO anyways.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd inject that one with peroxide to start (peroxide in syringe be sure to get right in the stock) it will bubble to oblivion. but keep a lookout because when there's one there's usually more. I hope there's not for your sake.

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the rock out. If there is one. There will probably be More to come. Even if you scrap it and clean it. There may be more you can’t see. You can try any of the above mentioned.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safest method would be to remove the rock, frag off what you want and attach it to another rock. Then give the rock with the aptasia on it a bath in citric acid, wash and add it back to the tank and reattach whatever you want to... serious not busting you.

OP
OP
ParkerK

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safest method would be to remove the rock, frag off what you want and attach it to another rock. Then give the rock with the aptasia on it a bath in citric acid, wash and add it back to the tank and reattach whatever you want to... serious not busting you.
Wow okay thank you for all the help I guess I’ll just get rid of the big rock and put the corals somewhere else....

OP
OP
ParkerK

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can pull the rock out then scrape the aptasia off and do your best to get it all don’t leave any behind. As soon as you start to scrape it I find they retract very quickly. So be precise. Then get a bucket with some tank water and rinse it off well so you are sure it’s all off the rock. That will be your best bet for treating just one specimen. IMO anyways.
Someone recommended Aiptasia X from Red Sea is that stuff good?

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow okay thank you for all the help I guess I’ll just get rid of the big rock and put the corals somewhere else....
Np, aptasia are a pain once they take hold in a tank. If you can see one before they spread anywhere else I'd do everything in my power to be rid of it it will save you headaches later. There are things that eat them but some also consume other nems or don't always eat the aptasia. The last thing you want is an infestation that you have to reach in and manually inject etc. If you try things like scrubbing and injecting them and miss a piece each piece left in the tank has the potential to attach and grow into a new aptasia multiplying the issue.

OP
OP
ParkerK

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not bad, I've tried it but ime regular peroxide works just as well. I've had others say lemon juice too but I'm allergic to lemon juice.
Oh wow that’s not good to hear. Lemons are good. But thank you for the help!!

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd inject that one with peroxide to start (peroxide in syringe be sure to get right in the stock) it will bubble to oblivion. but keep a lookout because when there's one there's usually more. I hope there's not for your sake.
dont do that it will spread just get beghidiah nudibranch. Im sure its worked for others but, kalkwasser paste, lemon just franks f aptais aptia x. I tried them all thinking it die. F NO LOLOLLOLOLOL they release more when they are stressed. Just get nudis they will be naturally gone.

This is just MY experience im glad if any of those solutions work but it will be one of them.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it out immediately and bleach everything and pray. Really, there's nothing I wouldn't give to start over without aptasia. Nudibranchs work, but they're slow and expensive and won't completely be able to rid the tank forever. It's just not worth it, no show piece coral would ever get near my tank if it ever had an aptasia. I can't stress how much I would bleach that rock immediately if I was in your shoes.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%

Back