Aiptasia in sand bed

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite my best efforts, I have aiptasia in my tank. I can generally keep the ones on horizontal surfaces under control with Frank's, but it doesn't stick to vertical surfaces. And now the boogers are in my sand bed.

Do aiptasia have a little stalk? Do you think if I'm fast enough with some tweezers, I could pluck the bigger ones from the sand like a weed or will they wiggle away? Any other suggestions? Advice welcome for the monsters on vertical surfaces at Frank's can't get, too! Thanks!

20210826_103537.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite my best efforts, I have aiptasia in my tank. I can generally keep the ones on horizontal surfaces under control with Frank's, but it doesn't stick to vertical surfaces. And now the boogers are in my sand bed.

Do aiptasia have a little stalk? Do you think if I'm fast enough with some tweezers, I could pluck the bigger ones from the sand like a weed or will they wiggle away? Any other suggestions? Advice welcome for the monsters on vertical surfaces at Frank's can't get, too! Thanks!

20210826_103537.jpg
They should not wiggle away - more concerning if you break bits off with tweezers then each bit can form into another aiptasia. Why not try spooning sand based ones out... you can readd any extra sand you pull out back in if no aiptasia on sand returning.

I've never used Frank's on vertical glass surface, but if you let it dry a bit its pretty glumpy so surprised not working for you. I'm in Frank's LFS most weekends since its over in Fort Worth - LOVE their customer service and often Frank himself is in the store. LOVE their original product label before it became family friendly - there is a sample on display case if you know where to look. Makes me giggle.

I'd cover all you can with F-Aiptasia because it sounds from your description that your population may be growing, which is the opposite direction from what you want...

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with above post. scooping without damaging the aiptasia is your best chance to get it out without inspiring it to spread. that being said, i've found trying to beat aiptasia with over the counter killers has only served to spread them in my system.
the only solution as far as i can see is using an animal (filefish, peppermint shrimp, or berghia nudibrachs)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just scoop them up with some of the sand that they are attached to. Grabbing them can damage them, allowing them to release their spores.
Assuming it is just attached to the substrate and not to the glass below then this is the best option.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just scoop them up with some of the sand that they are attached to. Grabbing them can damage them, allowing them to release their spores.
I tried suctioning them out with tubing and that didn't work very well. What would you use to scoop them out without spilling everything back in as you try to raise it to the surface?
They should not wiggle away - more concerning if you break bits off with tweezers then each bit can form into another aiptasia. Why not try spooning sand based ones out... you can readd any extra sand you pull out back in if no aiptasia on sand returning.

I've never used Frank's on vertical glass surface, but if you let it dry a bit its pretty glumpy so surprised not working for you. I'm in Frank's LFS most weekends since its over in Fort Worth - LOVE their customer service and often Frank himself is in the store. LOVE their original product label before it became family friendly - there is a sample on display case if you know where to look. Makes me giggle.

I'd cover all you can with F-Aiptasia because it sounds from your description that your population may be growing, which is the opposite direction from what you want...
Sorry, I should have clarified! Vertical ROCK surfaces are where I have trouble with Frank's. I have zero complaints with the areas where it sticks- it really does work well! Do you think if I squirt some onto a tongue depressor or something and let it get gloppy a bit, I could then apply it to a vertical rock face and have it stay?

Also, that original label was fantastic. :D

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried suctioning them out with tubing and that didn't work very well. What would you use to scoop them out without spilling everything back in as you try to raise it to the surface?

Sorry, I should have clarified! Vertical ROCK surfaces are where I have trouble with Frank's. I have zero complaints with the areas where it sticks- it really does work well! Do you think if I squirt some onto a tongue depressor or something and let it get gloppy a bit, I could then apply it to a vertical rock face and have it stay?

Also, that original label was fantastic. :D
Recently I was scooping out bits of broken shell, dead frags, other miscellaneous bits of hard junk cluttering my sand and used a kitchen serving spoon (that then dumped into a container weighted with sand down low so I didn't sprinkle sand everywhere sifting it. Since my purpose that day was sifting, I had a sifter over my container, but you wouldn't have a sifter.

You might NOT need a container if you are just doing one or two... but IF you are doing a bunch or IF you think it will fall off as you try to lift it out, then just get a plastic cup or I used a leftover soup container and add some sand to keep it from floating. Scoop sand with aiptasia(s) using spoon into container. Take container out.

Yes, if you let it thicken then use it that might help you on those rocks that are vertical.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F Aiptasia only created more and more in my tank. I stopped screwing with them. Berghia took care of most of mine. I can see two or three now a year later. When there are a few more I'll just put in some Berghia again.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 15 berghia and put them in a week or so ago. I'm not expecting to see instant results, but I'm wondering....will they cross the sand bed? I put them all on the most heavily infested island. If I want them to eventually spread, do I need to create a bridge of sorts if they can't traverse the sand? And will they get the huge aiptasia or only the smaller ones? Should I add a peppermint shrimp to attack the big 'uns? And where can I buy the species that's much more likely to actually eat them? Thanks!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back