Aiptasia Kryptonite?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I should have been monitoring this thread. It is great to see the conversations about this amazingly annoying issue.

Tank Update
Turns out that if I turn down the flow rate of the pump it stops sucking in air. That problem ended up being an easy fix. I haven't had bubbles in my display tank since sometime in December. The Aiptasia is starting to come back. I can see little ones on my power heads and a few of the bigger ones that were in the substrate but protected by rocks are starting to come out.

There have been questions about my water chemistry. Well, I am still playing mad chemist it seems. I am trying to run ALK at 9.5-10 with Tropic Marin All-For-Reef and can't keep my calcium below 550. I have been switching between ALF and 2 part to keep my ALK up and try to keep my calcium below 500. During this entire time, the Aiptasia that is in my sump has been alive and well. They are unfortunately growing really well and have multiplied but mostly in the sump. This might be how the new growth in the DT is coming along.

I am no scientist just a techy that has an aquarium, but it does seem to point that the bubbles were part if not the solution in suppressing the Aiptasia in my display tank. The growth in my sump leads me to believe that water chemistry didn't have an impact. The only other major difference is lighting. Obviously, my DT has a higher par and a different spectrum.

I am now waiting for more growth in my DT and will hit it with the bubbles to test my theory a second time. If this works, I might turn on an air stone at night in my sump to pump bubbles into my DT. See if that keeps them suppressed and I wouldn't have bubbles in my DT during normal viewing hours.
Aiptasia don't grow in my sump, I think it may be due to my exposed UV lights. I just added another UV tube light in my sump, I need to keep the lights covered to protect my eyes. Just yesterday I decided to turn off the UV lights to see what will happen, it is not helping me rid my dinos. I tried every thing that was suggested on R2R and more but nothing helps so I will stop my UV for now, that is one thing I haven't tried yet.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I should have been monitoring this thread. It is great to see the conversations about this amazingly annoying issue.

Tank Update
Turns out that if I turn down the flow rate of the pump it stops sucking in air. That problem ended up being an easy fix. I haven't had bubbles in my display tank since sometime in December. The Aiptasia is starting to come back. I can see little ones on my power heads and a few of the bigger ones that were in the substrate but protected by rocks are starting to come out.
I wanted to boost my bubbles so I added an air pump and a wooden diffuser and set it under my return pump. WOW, more bubbles haha.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tank Update

There have been questions about my water chemistry. Well, I am still playing mad chemist it seems. I am trying to run ALK at 9.5-10 with Tropic Marin All-For-Reef and can't keep my calcium below 550. I have been switching between ALF and 2 part to keep my ALK up and try to keep my calcium below 500. During this entire time, the Aiptasia that is in my sump has been alive and well. They are unfortunately growing really well and have multiplied but mostly in the sump. This might be how the new growth in the DT is coming along.

I am no scientist just a techy that has an aquarium, but it does seem to point that the bubbles were part if not the solution in suppressing the Aiptasia in my display tank. The growth in my sump leads me to believe that water chemistry didn't have an impact. The only other major difference is lighting. Obviously, my DT has a higher par and a different spectrum.

I am now waiting for more growth in my DT and will hit it with the bubbles to test my theory a second time. If this works, I might turn on an air stone at night in my sump to pump bubbles into my DT. See if that keeps them suppressed and I wouldn't have bubbles in my DT during normal viewing hours.
From where I sit it looks like aptasia doesn’t like the bubbles and they retract, but it doesn’t kill them. Wonder how long it would take to get rid of them with bubbles alone

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From where I sit it looks like aptasia doesn’t like the bubbles and they retract, but it doesn’t kill them. Wonder how long it would take to get rid of them with bubbles alone
That may be. As long as they don't spread fast enough where my File Fish can't keep up I don't care. During the day when the bubbles dissipate I do see some pop up but not many.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is/was full of Aiptasia. The substrate is covered not as thick as grass, but close enough. Aquascape had it popping up all over. A few weeks to a month ago my return pump started sucking in air somewhere and is producing micro bubbles throughout my display tank. Same size bubbles as when a protein skimmer is having discharge bubbles getting sucked up into the return. I should have fixed it, but honestly, it is a pain to take it apart and put it back together again. Having a newborn and football to go to/watch I let it go and I honestly don't mind the tiny bubbles in my tank. About a week ago I noticed that my substrate is 3/4 clear of Aiptasia. The remaining are closed up and nearly flat with the substrate. The same thing is happening to the Aiptasia on the aquascape. Now I am having an issue with high calcium of ~550 and DKH of 10-10.2, but I am thinking the microbubbles are what is making them recede. Will keep everyone updated, but this might be a little trick to beat them down when they are taking over a tank to let some natural predators take over.
I’ll bet you they are hiding and will reappear. Aip is like herps it may not show but they are there

OP
OP
M

mak5487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that I don't think it kills them and makes them retract. I do believe after a couple of months of retraction they do die off. My tank had a lot of them on my substrate and most of them are gone. I am thinking it is more like a starving them-to-death type of thing.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that I don't think it kills them and makes them retract. I do believe after a couple of months of retraction they do die off. My tank had a lot of them on my substrate and most of them are gone. I am thinking it is more like a starving them-to-death type of thing.
Do you have coral also? Sorry if that's been stated but tldr this whole thread to be honest. If so what impact do the bubbles have on them? If it's irritating the aiptasia, I would think they too would be affected. Aip are simply unwanted but not biologically very different... How do you target the unwanted aipwithout affecting the rest of the corals?

OP
OP
M

mak5487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have coral also? Sorry if that's been stated but tldr this whole thread to be honest. If so what impact do the bubbles have on them? If it's irritating the aiptasia, I would think they too would be affected. Aip are simply unwanted but not biologically very different... How do you target the unwanted aipwithout affecting the rest of the corals?
I have torch, frogspawn, hammer, chalice, gsp, favites, and lord that are growing. My monticaps don't seem to be doing the best, but I believe that is from the high levels of calcium, but could be wrong.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a great experience using AiptasiaX and a Copperband butterfly. The AiptasiaX took care of the big ones, and the Copperband has wiped out the little ones. Besides now being gone, the Aiptasa helped get the Copperband acclimated. He munched on them until he started taking the food I was feeding. He still hunts the little buggers and finds one from time to time. I've tried to put a copperband in this tank a few times. This is the first time I've been successful.

OP
OP
M

mak5487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about putting in a copper and, but don't know if I want to possibly throw $100 down the drain when it doesn't survive. I am wanting to get my calcium stabilized with All For Reef to be able to add more corals. I will then add more fish after I provide them more hiding spots with the corals.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about putting in a copper and, but don't know if I want to possibly throw $100 down the drain when it doesn't survive. I am wanting to get my calcium stabilized with All For Reef to be able to add more corals. I will then add more fish after I provide them more hiding spots with the corals.
This was my 3rd try at a Copperband. I thought I'd give it one last, best shot. I ordered a quarantined one from Dr. Reef. I think that was the key. It was healthy when I got it. It didn't eat anything I offered it for a few days, but picked at the rocks. I thought I noticed a little weight loss, then it discovered the Aiptasia. Finally, after about two weeks he started to take Brine Shrimp. Now he eats Brine Shrimp, Mysis, clams, and small Aiptasia.

OP
OP
M

mak5487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I get one it would be from Dr. Reef. My problem is I have a big damsel and a tang that are semi aggressive and don't know if the copperband will survive.

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been doing the lemon juice trick with a hypodermic needle to the base. It definitely kills them off, but it's hard to stab the small ones and there are certainly ones I can't reach. But it's pretty fun to stab these little f***ers and watch them melt after a year of misery between two tanks :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I get one it would be from Dr. Reef. My problem is I have a big damsel and a tang that are semi aggressive and don't know if the copperband will survive.
I have a 4.5" Blue Tang in the my tank (only a 90 gallon but don't hate me). He initially did the Tang-thing but the Copperband didn't get too stressed over it and soon started mostly ignoring it. The big Damsel could be an issue, but it could probably be trapped pretty easy. I only have a couple Springers in my tank.

OP
OP
M

mak5487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big issues is the Atlantic Blue Tang. It is definitely the boss of the tank. I have a twin spot tang that is probably next in line with the big damsel. I just think with more corals to help break up line of sight it would help

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big issues is the Atlantic Blue Tang. It is definitely the boss of the tank. I have a twin spot tang that is probably next in line with the big damsel. I just think with more corals to help break up line of sight it would help
Good reason to buy more corals!

OP
OP
M

mak5487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure. Just need to get that calcium level more consistent before I add things. I am going on vacation in a couple months and figure I won't add until I get back.

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DiefsReef do any testing?
Sorry i've been out for some time. I put a Copper Butterfly in the tank which has done a great job at reducing the aptasia but kinda stalled right now. Also have cyano in that tank so got a good sized pump and tubing and looking for the right diffuser now before hitting the tank with chemiclean.

OP
OP
M

mak5487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on this theory. I had an explosion of Aiptasia in my sump. I decided this would be an easy place to test out the bubbles theory. I started air stones yesterday around noon and by 8 am this morning half of them in the targeted area are no longer extended/gone. I am assuming they are no longer extended. I plan on leaving the air stones going through this weekend and determining the impact on Monday.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back