Aiptasia Kryptonite?

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size of micro bubbles are we talking about? how dense? can you possibly share a video of the display alone so i can see the micro bubbles? my tank has some micro bubbles too but I don't know if it is sufficient.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size of micro bubbles are we talking about? how dense? can you possibly share a video of the display alone so i can see the micro bubbles? my tank has some micro bubbles too but I don't know if it is sufficient.
I will try when I will turn the lights on in the morning.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever had Aiptasia in a skimmer? Didn’t notice any in my old tank in the skimmer. I’ve now got a heavily aerated sump, there’s none in there that I can see. Mine hang around the overflow from display. My worry would be that if they are annoyed enough they may bail and get chopped to bits by a pump.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever had Aiptasia in a skimmer? Didn’t notice any in my old tank in the skimmer. I’ve now got a heavily aerated sump, there’s none in there that I can see. Mine hang around the overflow from display. My worry would be that if they are annoyed enough they may bail and get chopped to bits by a pump.
There is a ton of flow thru a skimmer. They wouldn't stand a chance to attach. IMO
But if the skimmer was stopped to let aptaisia to attach then started....
Would they die or try to move to another location? In this case, most likely go to the skimmer cup, with all the bubbles lifting them out.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a ton of flow thru a skimmer. They wouldn't stand a chance to attach. IMO
But if the skimmer was stopped to let aptaisia to attach then started....
Would they die or try to move to another location? In this case, most likely go to the skimmer cup, with all the bubbles lifting them out.
Yep, maybe. Pic of my old skimmer below, lol

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, maybe. Pic of my old skimmer below, lol

WHAT THE $*#*?
LOL, lots happening in that skimmer... Still didn't see any aptaisia... LOL.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the bubbles stick to the aiptasia or do you get the same effect if you just put an air stone in the tank?
I do not know how it works. Do not use an air stone. Use a wooden air diffuser in the sump, you get finer bubbles with wood. I was running my ozone generator with a wooden air diffuser in to the sump, only 5 minutes at a time 2 times per month, stopped using it 8 months ago.

Attachments

• leeds2__45109.jpg
    leeds2__45109.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 74

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really interesting thread. Glad I stopped by. Haha

I‘ve never used an airstone. Does it have to be placed in the DT or can I get a similar effect if it’s in the sump by the return pump?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really interesting thread. Glad I stopped by. Haha

I‘ve never used an airstone. Does it have to be placed in the DT or can I get a similar effect if it’s in the sump by the return pump?
In the sump I would imagine. My skimmer is in the sump and my 75 gallon is loaded with micro-bubbles.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to learn how to upload videos. I have a picture it should give you a good idea what I have.

Attachments

• 20221223_072320.jpg
    20221223_072320.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 71

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to learn how to upload videos. I have a picture it should give you a good idea what I have.
oh... this is no where as near as what i have thx for sharing. does it bother the other tank inhabitants?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh... this is no where as near as what i have thx for sharing. does it bother the other tank inhabitants?
Does not bother my fish or corals. I don't know about anemones so I can not say if it will harm them, aiptasia is an anemone. If you have nems in your tank use caution.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back