Aiptasia Kryptonite?

mak5487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is/was full of Aiptasia. The substrate is covered not as thick as grass, but close enough. Aquascape had it popping up all over. A few weeks to a month ago my return pump started sucking in air somewhere and is producing micro bubbles throughout my display tank. Same size bubbles as when a protein skimmer is having discharge bubbles getting sucked up into the return. I should have fixed it, but honestly, it is a pain to take it apart and put it back together again. Having a newborn and football to go to/watch I let it go and I honestly don't mind the tiny bubbles in my tank. About a week ago I noticed that my substrate is 3/4 clear of Aiptasia. The remaining are closed up and nearly flat with the substrate. The same thing is happening to the Aiptasia on the aquascape. Now I am having an issue with high calcium of ~550 and DKH of 10-10.2, but I am thinking the microbubbles are what is making them recede. Will keep everyone updated, but this might be a little trick to beat them down when they are taking over a tank to let some natural predators take over.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed that as well. My skimmer started producing micro bubbles a few months ago, I only run it when lights are out. I have been letting it run this way because it helps polish the water, and my aiptasia which I have had for a few years now and has been kept to a low number of them by my File Fish but a few remain because he can't get at them all. Well I notice the ones he can't get to are disappearing, I can only see 2 or 3 now when I did have up to a dozen my File fish could not get to. Looks good to me.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick, someone get a dedicated tank of aiptasia started and then once its overrun blast it with microbubbles to see what happens!
I have already done that. I have been battling aiptasia for a few years, tried every chemical. I even have the laser, majano wand and it just spreads. Ever since my skimmer started releasing micro bubbles into my display the numbers have dropped and they are not spreading anymore, I seen maybe 2 today. That is compared to 6 months ago I had a little over a dozen and I was actively hunting them down with F-Aiptasia. Well I'm done with adding chemicals, micro bubbles do work. This is something the people selling this stuff does not want to hear.

Swiss Frag Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting! The only thing that worked for me back in the days were peppermint shrimps.

But the micro-bubble thing sound exciting, please report back once you see results!

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is/was full of Aiptasia. The substrate is covered not as thick as grass, but close enough. Aquascape had it popping up all over. A few weeks to a month ago my return pump started sucking in air somewhere and is producing micro bubbles throughout my display tank. Same size bubbles as when a protein skimmer is having discharge bubbles getting sucked up into the return. I should have fixed it, but honestly, it is a pain to take it apart and put it back together again. Having a newborn and football to go to/watch I let it go and I honestly don't mind the tiny bubbles in my tank. About a week ago I noticed that my substrate is 3/4 clear of Aiptasia. The remaining are closed up and nearly flat with the substrate. The same thing is happening to the Aiptasia on the aquascape. Now I am having an issue with high calcium of ~550 and DKH of 10-10.2, but I am thinking the microbubbles are what is making them recede. Will keep everyone updated, but this might be a little trick to beat them down when they are taking over a tank to let some natural predators take over.
There is some missing information here. First thing I would be curious about is salinity which is not mentioned. A lot of micro bubbles for a few weeks to a month as it was a pain to deal with, may have led to much higher evaporation than normal. This is supported by the unusually high calcium and alkalinity you are noticing, which would also support a finding of much higher than usual salinity. The affects of which could be a contributing factor to your perceived decline of Aiptasia. Another thing that is possible, especially in colder or hotter weather is that we keep windows and doors closed and run heat, fire, air conditioning much more while also staying indoors to keep warm or cool. If several people and pets are locked indoors for a period of time, with no outside air exchange, the co2 levels can increase significantly. This, in turn with the micro bubbles, could be injecting higher than normal levels of co2 into the aquarium also depressing the ph level. I would start by checking salinity and ph to see where those levels are and adjust if necessary by performing a water change and adding top off water. I do not think that micro bubbles alone could have eliminated your Aiptasia….but I could very well be wrong. Just my two cents. People have been battling Aiptasia for a very long time, if you’re on to something here a ton of people will be extremely happy!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some missing information here. First thing I would be curious about is salinity which is not mentioned. A lot of micro bubbles for a few weeks to a month as it was a pain to deal with, may have led to much higher evaporation than normal. This is supported by the unusually high calcium and alkalinity you are noticing, which would also support a finding of much higher than usual salinity. The affects of which could be a contributing factor to your perceived decline of Aiptasia. Another thing that is possible, especially in colder or hotter weather is that we keep windows and doors closed and run heat, fire, air conditioning much more while also staying indoors to keep warm or cool. If several people and pets are locked indoors for a period of time, with no outside air exchange, the co2 levels can increase significantly. This, in turn with the micro bubbles, could be injecting higher than normal levels of co2 into the aquarium also depressing the ph level. I would start by checking salinity and ph to see where those levels are and adjust if necessary by performing a water change and adding top off water. I do not think that micro bubbles alone could have eliminated your Aiptasia….but I could very well be wrong. Just my two cents. People have been battling Aiptasia for a very long time, if you’re on to something here a ton of people will be extremely happy!
The micro-bubbles in op's tank is not causing the chemistry problems IMO, it has to be something else. I have been running micro-bubbles in my tank for like six months and my parameters haven't changed, though I only run my skimmer when lights are off so only around 12 hours a day. I am confirming that the only change in my tank are the bubbles and has helped me with my aiptasia problem. Looks like everyone is having a hard time believing this is possible. Read my reply #2 &6.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The micro-bubbles in op's tank is not causing the chemistry problems IMO, it has to be something else. I have been running micro-bubbles in my tank for like six months and my parameters haven't changed, though I only run my skimmer when lights are off so only around 12 hours a day. I am confirming that the only change in my tank are the bubbles and has helped me with my aiptasia problem. Looks like everyone is having a hard time believing this is possible. Read my reply #2 &6.
I believe that I stated that the bubbles may have an effect, not stated that they absolutely without a shadow of a doubt had an effect on the chemistry. There are many reasons ones chemistry can change, but I do believe that bubbles which break the surface of water can cause evaporation, and evaporation can cause salinity, alkalinity, etc. to rise and was only pointing this out for the op to check before anything bad happens to the livestock in the tank. For all I know they have already tested, and everything is perfectly fine, it just wasn’t stated in the original post. It doesn’t hurt to make suggestions that can possibly help a fellow reefer. As far as your statement that the bubbles can not have an effect on tank parameters, in your opinion, I can not comment. As far as what you have seen in your tank with bubbles and Aiptasia, I can not comment. You may be one hundred percent correct in your findings, and I hope you are. My concern was only with the op as he had mentioned that he noticed unusually high calcium and alkalinity levels, along with the bubbles, and admittedly has been very busy with life.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that I stated that the bubbles may have an effect, not stated that they absolutely without a shadow of a doubt had an effect on the chemistry. There are many reasons ones chemistry can change, but I do believe that bubbles which break the surface of water can cause evaporation, and evaporation can cause salinity, alkalinity, etc. to rise and was only pointing this out for the op to check before anything bad happens to the livestock in the tank. For all I know they have already tested, and everything is perfectly fine, it just wasn’t stated in the original post. It doesn’t hurt to make suggestions that can possibly help a fellow reefer. As far as your statement that the bubbles can not have an effect on tank parameters, in your opinion, I can not comment. As far as what you have seen in your tank with bubbles and Aiptasia, I can not comment. You may be one hundred percent correct in your findings, and I hope you are. My concern was only with the op as he had mentioned that he noticed unusually high calcium and alkalinity levels, along with the bubbles, and admittedly has been very busy with life.
Your suggestions are perfectly fine. Thank you for helping mak5487. If the op is not topping off then yes he will have changes in parameters. And yes I am just stating what is happening with my tank just for comparison maybe. I just wanted to touch on this comment you made "I do not think that micro bubbles alone could have eliminated your Aiptasia….". Just wanted to let you know that is a fact in my tank. Do you still think micro-bubbles alone cannot eliminate aiptasia if it is happening in my tank? I am not trying to argue with you, we all have our thoughts and opinions. That is how we learn. I am sure we all have something to learn.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your suggestions are perfectly fine. Thank you for helping mak5487. If the op is not topping off then yes he will have changes in parameters. And yes I am just stating what is happening with my tank just for comparison maybe. I just wanted to touch on this comment you made "I do not think that micro bubbles alone could have eliminated your Aiptasia….". Just wanted to let you know that is a fact in my tank. Do you still think micro-bubbles alone cannot eliminate aiptasia if it is happening in my tank? I am not trying to argue with you, we all have our thoughts and opinions. That is how we learn. I am sure we all have something to learn.
I still do not believe that the micro bubbles alone eliminated the Aiptasia in the op as there are other factors mentioned that I believe would have substantially more effect. As far as your statements, with your tank and you observations. I am not disagreeing that you saw what you saw. However, for me to accept with one hundred percent certainty, that micro bubbles alone kill Aiptasia I would need more evidence and data than a single persons experience. No offense to you, it’s just that one can not accept a single example as absolute proof of anything. Repeat it consistently in different tanks with several others having the same experience in their tanks and I would start to consider its merits. Is it worth looking into, sure. I did not direct any comment to you, meaning I had no intent to disparage you or your findings. I hope what you found is true as it could help many people that are battling Aiptasia now and in the future. I believe further study is needed, and yes we all have something to learn….every single day

edit. Especially if you’re like me and forget everything, you get to learn it all over again tomorrow!

Last edited:

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still do not believe that the micro bubbles alone eliminated the Aiptasia in the op as there are other factors mentioned that I believe would have substantially more effect. As far as your statements, with your tank and you observations. I am not disagreeing that you saw what you saw. However, for me to accept with one hundred percent certainty, that micro bubbles alone kill Aiptasia I would need more evidence and data than a single persons experience. No offense to you, it’s just that one can not accept a single example as absolute proof of anything. Repeat it consistently in different tanks with several others having the same experience in their tanks and I would start to consider its merits. Is it worth looking into, sure. I did not direct any comment to you, meaning I had no intent to disparage you or your findings. I hope what you found is true as it could help many people that are battling Aiptasia now and in the future. I believe further study is needed, and yes we all have something to learn….every single day
I understand. The op did state that he had water quality issues well after the elimination of the aiptasia. And bad water quality like he had will not harm aiptasia but will on sensitive corals. I had aiptasia growing in a fuge that I stopped using and left the water in it in my garage and watched it for several days while the water evaporates the aiptasia were still alive after 5 days. So figure that one out.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes me mad, all the money I spent on controlling aiptasia did nothing but spread them. Now I have micro-bubbles from my skimmer getting into the DT for six months now I only see 2 diehards, been watching those 2 for a month now.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention my water is also clearer, I heard that the bubbles attach to particles to keep them in the water column for the filter to remove.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back