Aiptasia melting?

absoluteNANOreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in the reef hobby long enough to know or at least I thought I knew that aiptasia will not die on its own. Today I started looking around my tank and noticed that all of it in the entire tank looks weak with no tentacles and some even look like they are melting. I haven’t dosed anything. I haven’t done anything different the fish and corals all look good. Any idea what’s going on?
I’m not complaining by any means. I’m just worried something else is happening and the corals and fish will catch up even though I would assume the aiptasia would be the last to be affected.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have seen that happen before, although I am not sure that I fully understand the reason. The most recent time that occurred was right after I dosed AB+. It may have been coincidence. Additionally, I will add that the bottle was refrigerated, but was not new. As a side note, I have seen a tank of Aiptasia turn ghost like because the tank got to hot and apparently experienced a bleaching event.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i too have seen this and is a good thing. My suspicion is a higher alk level as they are affected by kalkwasser and may play a role as does Peroxide if some was added

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any coral in the tank ? If so how is it doing ?
No worries! It took a little while, but the Aiptasia bounced back just fine. :oops:

Seriously though, the corals were a bit annoyed, it didn't kill the Aiptasia, and all recovered (whether I wanted them to or not).

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back