Aiptasia

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve discovered small aiptasia starting up in my 13.5 reef tank no coral in it yet just LR couple clowns peppermint shrimp turbo snails and emerald crabs. My question is will the peppermint shrimp eat and kill off the aiptasia over time. They’ve already munched a bunch down just having them in the tank for about 2 hours. Thanks for any comments and reply’s. You guys kick butt

B99E8C96-2D52-4AAC-9215-02FD4995C4C1.jpeg

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah peps work for me. There are a lot of different species all marketed as peppermint shrimp, some are good some are not and thats why you may here mixed results from different people, and why some may say they are even bad bc they ate their corals.

Looks like you got a good one if it already started to go after the aip

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah peps work for me. There are a lot of different species all marketed as peppermint shrimp, some are good some are not and thats why you may here mixed results from different people, and why some may say they are even bad bc they ate their corals.

Looks like you got a good one if it already started to go after the aip
Yeah the 4 have already started to eat most away. Cool

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mix Kalkwasser powder with ro or tank water into a paste and using a syringe, inject it into center core of saptasia and it will melt away

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see what you have with the blue pic
Can you post a whiter one?

Aiptasia tend to have long slender tentacles
Mojano tend to have squat thicker tentacles

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see what you have with the blue pic
Can you post a whiter one?

Aiptasia tend to have long slender tentacles
Mojano tend to have squat thicker tentacles
They are like whiteish color and there’s small ones and some bigger ones I’m betting it’s aiptasia but let me see if I can get better picture

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on that description I'd say you're right.
Waiting for your new pic ...
Well ... I think the shrimp took care of what I had cause I cannot find any now lol I know the picture I took is hard to tell cause the blue but it is a white color or like translucent like. There where other that where smaller and I’m definitely sure the shrimp took care of them. My LRS said they where perfect for that issue so it looks like they did their job

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ... I think the shrimp took care of what I had cause I cannot find any now lol I know the picture I took is hard to tell cause the blue but it is a white color or like translucent like. There where other that where smaller and I’m definitely sure the shrimp took care of them. My LRS said they where perfect for that issue so it looks like they did their job
Or it just closed up as the shrimp walked over it ...

Keep an eye out for a few days and get a white light picture if you spot it again

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They work great, but tend to get lazy and wait for you to feed the tank....at least mine did.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or it just closed up as the shrimp walked over it ...

Keep an eye out for a few days and get a white light picture if you spot it again
True. I’ve seen and watched the shrimp eat a couple of them I’ll definitely watch it over

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They work great, but tend to get lazy and wait for you to feed the tank....at least mine did.
They have definitely gone to town all over the tank since they’ve been in I’ve been pretty happy and satisfied with the outcome. I’ll just have to watch things over the needs couple days

Back