Air exchange

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you guys doing about air exchange, Co2 and humidity?
Haven't been able to crack a window in some time. Doesn't look like we are going to get any kind of relief for at least a few weeks!
Meanwhile PH is dropping. Evap is about 3 gallons daily but maybe more on my 160 gallon system.
Totally enclosed.
Thinking about running my skimmer lines outside and I could i do have chiller on stand by.
Kinda struggling with what to do next.
Super humid out don't think cracking window tonight is going to do any good!
We need fresh air i think the humans in the house are starting to feel it.

MikeyMizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a CO2 scrubber that recirculates the skimmer air. Helped my pH significantly. My run to get air from outside was too far and cuts down on the air flow too much.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a CO2 scrubber that recirculates the skimmer air. Helped my pH significantly. My run to get air from outside was too far and cuts down on the air flow too much.
I've been thinking about ordering one. Probably already should have i seen it coming.
Didn't really become a problem until a cpl weeks ago.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK.

You don't need to order a CO2 scrubber as re-using an old RO canister will work. Just widen the in and out holes to fit 3/8" tubing adapters and you will be fine. You will need to get 10" media cartridge to keep the CO2 absorber, and order the absorber from a medical supply house. Much cheaper. It was almost free as I already had most of the materials and took 30 mins.

Canister.jpg

cartridge.jpg

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH went from 7.8 to 8.05/8.1 or so. Media lasts me about 1 week per 10" canister. Used on a 300 gallon tank.

What are your results from using a CO2 scrubber.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH went from 7.8 to 8.05/8.1 or so. Media lasts me about 1 week per 10" canister. Used on a 300 gallon tank.

What are your results from using a CO2 scrubber.
Right on man I know i can get all these parts from discount aquarium. Where did you order the c02 absorber?
Canister a week. Maybe 2 weeks for me since I'm running about half the volume. Seems like alot but I'm seeing the results of not running one and having almost no air exchange besides a ceiling fan and fans moving same air around the house.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here: https://www.shopmedvet.com/product/...MIvtnC_Kym6wIVJRh9Ch3-gAsAEAQYASABEgJTFfD_BwE

The whole thing lasts me about a year. I don't think it is dependent on tank volume but how much air you pull through and CO2 in your house, but I assume your house is the same as mine and your skimmer might pull in less air than mine.

I get mine during Black Friday and even Shipmedvet has sales.

The also have smaller containers but this is the most economical.

Found this one ebay. Pretty good deal. Free shipping and no tax.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @vanpire. Stopped by Discount aquarium they didn't have any canisters to fit my needs. I think I'm going to order the brs one but use your link to buy the absorber in bulk!

I have to ask. Are you, have you or anyone else for that matter hooked skimmer up to draw outside air in these temps? If so what kind temp varience did you experience?
Believe it or not before temps got out of hand I was opening window in temps around 100 degrees and wasn't experiencing much of any swings on the reef and water but wife shut that down once electric bill came in way high lol.

Could and should I expect huge swings drawing and pumping this hot air directly into water?

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue and I don't draw in any outside air. If I could, I probably would. My fans would make quick work of any temperature rise.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue and I don't draw in any outside air. If I could, I probably would. My fans would make quick work of any temperature rise.
Right on. Something is telling me to give it a shot. I have nothing to lose and can rig up a carbon canister to draw air from. Always just plug the hole if it becomes an issue.
I have a feeling temps should be fine though. Right now I can close fish room door and open window at 100 degrees with only ceiling fan on and hover around 79 degrees somehow no joke.
But thats not pumping this hot air directly into water though.
I have to give it a shot and see what happens now I guess lol.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a scrubber in my prior house, because I used to really struggle with this too.

My current home as a "fresh air" system, that does draw in outside air, 25 minutes per hour. This helps quite a bit, but it's still not perfect.

I actually have the skimmer airline poked into an interior wall, and then I have a hole in the 2x4 at the top (inside) of the wall, that lets my skimmer draw air from the attack.

Between the two, I can keep my pH from really ever dipping below 7.8.

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ran my skimmer airline into my garage where I moved the CO2 scrubber to. It was exhausting the media quickly in the house. I'm assuming the media will last much longer in the garage. JP

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jeff, how long did you media last you before moving the airline to the garage?

My one RODI canister lasts me 7-8 days.

@evolved and @jporter17 , what do you have our pH with the scrubber or outside air?

You can tell where my media gets exhausted.

1597902364706.png

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a whole house ventilation system. My CO2 levels in my house were running in the 800-900ppm range. Now I run in the 400-500ppm range. Outside air is 400ppm. I also draw in outside air into my skimmers. With the smoke in the air from all the fires I turned off my ventilation system and the outside air to the skimmers. I am now seeing a drop in pH.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking about drawing air from garage but my wife likes to start car in garage and let cool down since she got one of those fancy key chain starters @jporter17
Really liking the idea of plugging into the ceiling now but air must get hot up there!
How much of water temp swing did you see pulling fresh skimmer air from attic (if any) @evolved ?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved and @jporter17 , what do you have our pH with the scrubber or outside air?
Pretty consistent; no scrubber. I'm happy so long as it's above 7.8. Sure, I could grow things faster if it was higher, but meh.
1598070167624.png

Really liking the idea of plugging into the ceiling now but air must get hot up there!
How much of water temp swing did you see pulling fresh skimmer air from attic (if any) @evolved ?
Newer home here, with foam insulation sprayed on the backside of the OSB. So the attic is semi-conditioned, and also not super open to outside air. But it's also semi-sealed from the home interior, so still less CO2.
But even if it was hot, outside air, you'd never see the difference in tank temp.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you guys doing about air exchange, Co2 and humidity?
Haven't been able to crack a window in some time. Doesn't look like we are going to get any kind of relief for at least a few weeks!
Meanwhile PH is dropping. Evap is about 3 gallons daily but maybe more on my 160 gallon system.
Totally enclosed.
Thinking about running my skimmer lines outside and I could i do have chiller on stand by.
Kinda struggling with what to do next.
Super humid out don't think cracking window tonight is going to do any good!
We need fresh air i think the humans in the house are starting to feel it.
Went to Home Despot got about eight palms and then 3 grow lights at $40 (20w) ... done. Don't open my windows anymore. My PH probe crapped out on my Apex and since I am going to switch to GHL I don't want to get a new one, so I can't say exactly what PH is or what CO2 levels are, but according to the NASA study, with the plants I got and the others I already had I should have enough to cover me my wife and my cat. FYI have since potted them.

image1.jpg

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty consistent; no scrubber. I'm happy so long as it's above 7.8. Sure, I could grow things faster if it was higher, but meh.
1598070167624.png

Newer home here, with foam insulation sprayed on the backside of the OSB. So the attic is semi-conditioned, and also not super open to outside air. But it's also semi-sealed from the home interior, so still less CO2.
But even if it was hot, outside air, you'd never see the difference in tank temp.
For sure. I ran my skimmer lines outside today. Only reason I did that is because I plan on installing fan to vent to attic here shortly and didnt want it to be counter productive.
That being said I haven't noticed a temp swing all day, not even with window open now since sun went down with outside temps at 95 degrees.
Matter of fact my heaters are set to 78 and controller kicked them on at 77 at some point earlier. That's with ceiling fan on over the tables.
Think I'm good to go on water temps.
Looking at sealing the room now.
As well as picking @vanpire brain on how to hook up exhaust fan to come on with humidity controller?
Minds blown at @vanpire build.
When I decide to get serious about a DT that I can actually show someone I'm going to hire him to build it for me lol!
Apologize to @Sisterlimonpot for the mishap here! Epic build!

Last edited:

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whose ever build you are talking about, it wasn’t me.

You must be thinking of jimmy or bill or Jeff or someone else on the forum.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whose ever build you are talking about, it wasn’t me.

You must be thinking of jimmy or bill or Jeff or someone else on the forum.
Lol if it not you that has exhaust fan hooked up to humidity controller in some insane build i seen than I apologize to whoever build that was!
If you do have an exhaust fan hooked up like that then I'd like to know what you did lol

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back